1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newt: Let's Go Impeachin'!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by secretariat, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You mean . . . Richard "If I do it, it's not illegal" Nixon?

A smart guy, who crashed on the rocks of his own multiple delusions and psychosis.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I still maintain that if Watergate were to happen today, nobody would blink.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Disagree. The guy was so out of line for so long, he thought hiring thugs for dirty work (CREEP was one of the greatest acronyms, ever) was SOP. Nixon was indeed tragic-- and we're all still paying for his psychological quirks and ugly precedents.

And . . . no coincidence . . . the insects known as Cheney and Rummy were around then, and now. Gag.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I sort of agree. I don't think that it would take down a sitting president.

No matter what party it was, 20 percent would be deeply offended, while another 20 percent would think their party did the right thing.

That leaves the middle and when you take out the people who don't care and aren't informed enough to have an opinion, it leaves just a precious few, not enough to be a majority of the country once it all shook out.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

SINCE Watergate, political decorum and ethics have worsened 10-fold. This kind of crap is justified by the ends/objectives.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

No. I meant Johnson and Clinton. Nixon resigned before he was impeached.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Disagree. I think people understand that trying to cover-up a burglary is still a serious charge and it can be broken down into a simple narrative to follow. It's something to do about trying to undermine the election process.

It's not like something complex such as a land deal, or insider trading that would be difficult for people to follow on a regular basis.

Now, the big question is, how would Watergate be treated in today's media. For one, who knows if the dots would ever have been connected? There's a lot less resources out there. On the other hand, you might have gotten a blogger exposing it, and then the screamasphere would just rip the whole thing apart.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The big boys - the Washington Post, the New York Times, the New Yorker - still pour resources into a story like that. Let's not forget, Woodward and Bernstein was just city desk reporters investigating a burglary.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That completely depends on if the president is a Democrat or a Republican.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Because the media didn't cover the Clinton scandals at all.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

All in loving detail, replete with copious free publicity for The Gap . . .

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call "any Republican who brings this up is evil, and we really need to make Linda Tripp out to be the devil" as actual coverage of the Clinton scandals. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Draft saved Draft deleted