1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newt Gingrich, The Ship Be Sinking

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jun 9, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There's always this hope that candidate X will "blow candidate Y away in a debate."

Gingrich is either really smart -- or he conned people into believing he was -- despite his personal "failings".

I think a lot of people -- including most especially Newt Gingrich -- thought he could be candidate X to Obama's Y.

I had my hopes. I no longer do. And, we'll never see this debate now. Newt has sunk his own campaign before it's left the dock.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The governorship of Texas has not exactly been a launching pad of great men (or women).

A recent conversation between W and Perry has been reported, in part. GWB reportedly told Perry,
    in so many words, that the Texas governorship was "a great job". Have a hunch he was trying to tell him something.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Gingrich is incredibly smart. But his personal issues are tough to get past and what hurts him even more is that he's been in congress for more than a decade.

4. YankeeFan

Bush & his folks will not get behind Perry.

And, while they're not close, if he got the nomination, Dems would hang Bush around his neck like a fucking millstone.

He was GWB's Lt. Governor. Again, they're not especially close, but America is not going to elect George W. Bush's former number 2 as president.

5. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I wonder if the Weiner scandal and the John Edwards stuff being back in the news have anything to do with staff running away from Gingrich? Right now, no one with any public indiscretions has a shot — especially those trying to court the Christian right.

6. Mizzougrad96

I know it's not going to happen, but I'd be curious what would happen if Jeb entered the race. I'm not saying he'd win the general election, but I think he could get the nomination.

7. Mizzougrad96

He was doomed long before any of that stuff happened.

8. YankeeFan

Jeb would obviously have the same issues, and they'd be even more magnified.

He'd also have advantages Perry does not have.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Oh, think Jeb most certainly would like to take a swing at it.

But -- almost certainly -- NOT in '12.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Jeb himself has very few skeletons. His daughter had a drug problem that was well-known in the state capitol.

11. Mizzougrad96

His wife has had a ton of issues as well.

12. Mizzougrad96

Those skeletons are the reason it was W and not Jeb who ran 11 years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted