1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newt Gingrich, The Ship Be Sinking

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Well, honestly, I'm not sure his hope is changed, because he didn't have any anyway.

Bizarre thing. Interesting that some of them are former Perry people -- I wonder if they're lining up to be with him.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It's certainly interesting and could be a sign of things to come for Newt. But John McCain had a similar reshuffling of his campaign staff and came back from near defeat in the primary to clean up. His campaign then fell apart in the general election, so we'll have to see what happens to Newt. This is going to be an ugly season for the GOP just because so many of them are clamoring to set the Republican agenda, so something as serious as this could sink Newt and won't be able to recover like McCain did.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Newt's a joke.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If Perry gets in the race, it will be game-over for the nomination battle. And it will mean one very nasty, ugly, brutal election fight.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Yeah, but its not like McCain hurt his chances by callously dumping his wife in ill health, like Newt did.

Wait a minute..

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You think the nomination would be Perry's to lose?

I don't see it that way.

He has no natural constituency. He's not associated with any particular issue. He doesn't have much of a national profile. And, while the Texas economy has been better than the rest of the country, people aren't giving Perry a lot of credit for that.

8. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Clown Car down one.

And agree with YF. What's Perry got that Mitt ain't got?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Gingrich reminds me of Mike Damone from Fast Times.

"I don't know what just happened. I woke up in a really good mood."

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's the wife's fault:

Between this, the Tiffany's bill, and the second divorce, Newt would have been better off if he could have kept it in his pants.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Honestly, taking that cruise might have been the best thing Gingrich has done for his candidacy. He was his own worst enemy.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

The Christian right. Perry's making a big play for them, hosting a Reliant Stadium prayer event later this summer to which he has publicly invited all 49 other state governors.

Draft saved Draft deleted