1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newt: Child Labor Laws Are "Truly Stupid"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Apparently Newt has decided to spew out stupid stuff so the slack-jawed 75-IQ yokels who make up The Base won't think he's tryin' to be one of them egghead smartypants.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I think we agree more than we disagree -- that child labor laws didn't come into the fore for merely altruistic reasons.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Sure . . . but it's Newt's posturing that's offensive.

It's like, "How low can I go?"

Oh, Newtie, you've already showed us that . . .

CANCER?

I divorce you, I divorce you, I divorce . . .

And now he's lying his ass off, trying to kick the dirt over those tracks.

No chance, Pig-Boy.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Huh? I meant that they both won the nomination.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well, you're certainly not going to lose a Republican nomination process by vilifying the poor, that's for sure. Maybe he's onto something.

6. Starman

Yeah, just more of the Uberclass spiking the ball and dancing in the end zone.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Isn't that required of GOP candidates now? I mean, if you don't vilify the poor you're branded a RINO.

8. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I'd agree except for two things:

1. A good many voters wonder if Obama is also arrogant and talking down to them, albeit in a more subtle fashion.

2. Most importantly, the economy sucks, while it was very good in 2000 and relatively decent in 2004. And while Newt Gingrich is definitely a pompous ass, Obama looks weak and impotent as the economy continues to languish, much like Jimmy Carter did in 1980. Gingrich is certainly no Ronald Reagan, but with the economy being so bad, it's not inconceivable that just enough voters could turn to him anyway, especially if progressives stay home and the new voter ID laws in many states succeed in keeping poorer and less mobile voters away from the polls.

9. Starman

I actually kind of like the idea the president might be smarter than me.

Unfortunately this hasn't been true most of my adult life. Not even close.

It's a hell of a thing to be a 22-year-old and know you're way way smarter than the president.

Draft saved Draft deleted