1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newt: Child Labor Laws Are "Truly Stupid"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Nov 22, 2011.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/national/government-and-politics/gingrich-calls-child-labor-regulations-truly-stupid/article_d540cd6a-1488-11e1-a565-001cc4c03286.html

First, I do not think there is any D-B here. I checked by looking Newt up.

I have a few things that bother me about Newt's rant:

* He is so anti-union that he would like janitors fired and give the kids in the school jobs cleaning it (absurd);

* He shows he hates unions (Read his comments in the story....Typical GOP).

If we do not have the labor laws, don't we risk doing what other countries that don't have them (i.e. underpaying&overworking young kids....?).

And on another Newt-related subject, I would be curious to hear what my fellow SportsJournalists.com-mers think of Newt's idea for, should he be the GOP nominee, having Lincoln/Douglas-style debates with Obama, with questions from audience and *no moderator*.

Personally, I think Newt wants that form of debate because of "no moderator." Oh how he hates the media and any suggestion of a moderator after the debate last weekend.

He's an idiot. It's just a shame he has to demonstrate it so publicly at times.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It has been on two threads already.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/86647/

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/87258/

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He's not an idiot. He's insecure. Either that or thinks he's so much smarter than his audience that they are incapable of understanding a nuanced point. Probably a little bit of both.

So the result is that he constantly goes way over the top when a little would have sufficed.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I am honestly starting to wonder what someone has to do to disqualify himself or herself from this dog-and-pony show. Herman Cain should send Jerry Sandusky a thank-you card. Newt Gingrich says he wants to put 9-year-olds to work and, at least so far, it barely seems to have registered with people.

The only two events that I can think of so far that have harmed a candidate are:

(1) Michele Bachmann's HPV comments, although her drop had as much to do with Perry joining the race as anything.

(2) Perry's debate gaffe.

That's it. Everyone else just seems to get stronger through each incomprehensible fuck-up.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Newt's a malignancy upon the Earth.

He'll kill himself. Left unchecked, he'll utter a handful of looney-tune, Plutoesque stupidities, and take himself out. He can't help himself.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Perry's MULTIPLE debate fuckups have hurt him a lot.

I think Cain has been hurt a lot by the sexual harrassment/assault claims.

I don't think Bachmann was ever truly a frontrunner, even if the idiots who voted in the Iowa Straw Poll said otherwise...

I don't think this will hurt Newt.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This is Simon Legree stuff, from Newty.

"Please, sir . . . I want some more."

Happy Holidays.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Based on having spent a couple hours with the man once, he is definitely not insecure, and clearly believes he's way, way smarter than most.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Not this one thing. But as more people listen to him, that will give Newt's bloated ego even more of a boost, and thus increasing the likelihood he'll say something outrageous that people will notice.

Al Gore and John Kerry lost support in part because people perceived those candidates were talking down to them. Newt will have the same problem.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Domestic violence laws are truly stupid too. Those child-labor coolies will work at a pretty snappy pace if you can lay the strap across their backs every 30 seconds or so. Improved productivity!! The miracle of the marketplace!!

11. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Like when Gingrich blamed the horrific actions of Susan Smith on.....Democrats.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This is insane.

The Koch-ies are rubbing each other off, as I type this.

There's a special corner in hell for such douchbaggery.

Oh, the depravity.

Draft saved Draft deleted