1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsweek's Jon Meacham, good or bad?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jun 2, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't know much about Jon Meacham, outside of him being Newsweek's editor and that he seems to be a camera whore.

One of the board's betters, who no longer hangs out here much, had some dealings with him and called him one of the worst magazine editor's in the country.

I know reading Newsweek, after its latest redesign has turned into a chore. No matter how good the copy, when the presentation is off that bad, it doesn't matter.

So enter the NY Observer and they don't have much good to say:

http://www.observer.com/2010/media/news-bleak-or-it-grahams-succumb-panic

So now I wonder what others think?

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

REALLY dislike the magazine, now. Enormous smuggery quotent, every time out.

"What the people who matter . . . think".

Meacham's idea of who matters -- and mine -- differ, markedly.

When my sub lapses, I'm done.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I've stopped reading it. Half-baked opinions with half-baked conclusions and precious little sourcing.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm not saying he's always wrong -- far from it -- but I really, REALLY need
    to know who elected Fareed Zakaria God.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'd argue he's the wealthiest magazine editor in the nation. I bet his family's money tops the Forbes' and SI Newhouse's for sure -- which is why he's the frontrunner to buy the magazine from WaPo.

He's part of the family that owns Chattem Drug -- aka Gold Bond Powder, FlexAll, IcyHot, Bullfrog, Selsun Blue and Aspercreme, among other Chattanooga products.

I worked with Jon at the Chattanooga Times back in the day. Seemed like a nice enough Swanee kid to me.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Newsweak.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

Chattem was bought for about $2 Billion in December. I'm guessing he and his family are doing fine.

Draft saved Draft deleted