1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsweek: We're an ignorant nation, are you among them? Take the test and see

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Mar 21, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Didn't have to register; Yahoo! had it as a lead news item with free access.

Hell, I just thought it was an interesting test/discussion piece. I'm not at all surprised high school kids get this wrong. I saw a local language arts class worksheet (a non-honors level language arts class) and it was a fourth-grade level fill in the appropriate missing word handout. Same class: I saw a sampling of one paragraph theme explanations for a 6-8 page junior theme paper. The spelling in those simple paragraphs was sad.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

What happened in Philly, stays in Philly.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I thought it was the freemasons?

4. printdust

printdust New Member

The illuminati. Or China. I resisted the urge to get that one wrong

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The correct answer is "he made it so you just can't tell a joke about ANYTHING anymore, sheesh."

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Totally missed the amendment number and the number of HR (I thought 538 - thinking of the website)
    I said nuke war regarding the Cold War, which I think was a bigger deal than communism - we didn't give a crap about communism until they got the bomb. Also said "to tax" on the fed powers - which I think should also count as a right answer.

I actually think the "new" Newsweek is pretty good - it appeals to both the high and lowbrow elements.

BONUS Question: There are 538 electoral votes up for grabs during each Presidential election - one for every Senator and Member of Congress. Where do the other three votes come from?

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

District of Columbia has three votes.

I remember that from the '84 election, when Mondale just won his home state and D.C. The map was all red except for the one state, and a little dot on the East Coast.

8. printdust

printdust New Member

How about a double-bonus: The complete order of presidential succession in the U.S.

Grade yourself: I scored five in a row right. Was lost after that.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0101032.html

9. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

The power to tax isn't exclusive to the federal government, so the answers they listed were better answers.

Though, I agree with whoever said that regulating interstate commerce should have been an acceptable answer -- it's a very specifically enumerated power.

10. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Ignorant? I knew we are dumb, materialistic, greedy, and self-centered. But now we are ignorant, too?!

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Huh, would've figured that the "liberal" media had it in for Reagan and Mondale would have coasted.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

In fairness "got her face on worthless coin" should have been acceptable for Susan B. Anthony's accomplishment.

Draft saved Draft deleted