1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsweek: We're an ignorant nation, are you among them? Take the test and see

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Mar 21, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

I missed two, one by miscalculating the members of the house by three.

http://www.newsweek.com/2011/03/20/take-the-quiz-what-we-don-t-know.all.html

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

That's a poorly designed quiz format. Fail.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

Tell Newsweek. Otherwise, lighten up and take the test.

All our "constitutional" experts in here should be able to ace it. After all, aren't liberals intellectually superior to conservatives?

4. printdust

printdust New Member

What did Martin Luther King, Jr. do?

Boy, that's a toughie.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Got three wrong:
    1) A power of the federal government (thought interstate commerce was one)
    2) The current speaker of the house (total fail on my part ... I answered Pelosi)
    3) The number of constitutional amendments (said 26, and it's actually 27)

Some of those questions are way too open-ended though. Like "What happened at the Constitutional Convention?"
    Prove to me that Jefferson and Madison didn't do keg stands in the hall while John Jay lit up a doobie as he hashed out the fourth amendment. Just prove it.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Depending on what the quiz accepts as a "correct" answer, it can be.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

No keg stands, just a slave orgy. :D

8. printdust

printdust New Member

It's in a general sense, and I think what's missing is a multiple choice answer. Still, I mean, more than anything, Martin Luther King was a civil rights leader. A reverend, yes; a black man, yes' a jailed man, yes; the man who was shot and killed in Memphis by James Earl Ray, yes. But overwhelmingly, one more than the others.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I already see Newsweek got one wrong -- "who is in charge of the executive branch," they said the correct answer was the president but it's actually Dick Cheney.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

If you registered with Newsweak to take the test, then you fail.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yes and I did ace it. It wasn't particularly hard, although I wouldn't mock someone for not knowing the number of amendments or members of the house.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I agree that some of these questions were too vague. What happened at the Constitutional Convention has too many answers, depending on how big of a wise ass you are.
    I agree with the point about what did Martin Luthar King Jr. do? Do? For a living? What he's known for?
    At the same time, I'm surprised how many people don't know that we have a Capitalist system. Then again, the question I got wrong was name one of the authors of the Federalist papers, but I can at least be happy getting that one wrong compared to some of the others.

Draft saved Draft deleted