1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsweek vs. Time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SCEditor, Jun 12, 2006.

?

If you had to choose one, which would you order?

1. Time

56.3%
  2. Newsweek

43.8%
  1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I take both because if you're on one of the "professional" lists, they're laughably cheap. Some of their broad issue-overview
    articles can be useful, especially if you filter out Newsweek's lib slant.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Chazp get a new sockpuppet?

3. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Another vote here for The Economist.

Time and Newsweek used to be very good; in the past decade they have both declined...

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I haven't read an issue of either one in about 15 years and judging from circulation figures, I'm part of a trend. Shallow to the core, both of them.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If I was the owner of Time or Newsweek...I'd partner with broadcast's most legendary news and investigation show, and become the weekly print version of:

60 Minutes.

60 Minutes Magazine would feature 3 cover stories that provide in-depth looks at the segments featured on the show. I'd then fill out the rest with updates on older stories, news of the week, and columns from everyone involved with the broadcast.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Holy shit, this thread is almost 6 years old and damn near a chazp to the 6th power.

The only time I read either is when I'm getting my tyres changed on either of my vehicles.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Some guy named Simon Bates keeps getting the Economist delivered to my house. I have no idea who he is, but I appreciate the subscription. It's been coming for at least six months now.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yes.

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I love Vanity Fair. Keeps you on top of everything from politics to Hollywood and crime. James Wolcott covering the financial meltdown in 2008 was really well done.

I pick up the Economist on occasion, I think their 2012 preview/prediction is still out in stores.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Carrying around a copy of The Economist projects an erudite, sophisticated air. It's a hidden benefit that Time or Newsweek will not give you.

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

I looked at my comment from 2006. The situation has changed.

The curreent version of Newsweek is awful. They have lost writers to Time. Last year, I received a pitch letter for Newsweek and they talked about great writers like Fareed Zakaharia (sp?) and Jon Meacham (I think). Both of those writers had left Newsweek well before the letter came out.

Time hasn't necessarily improved, but it is much better than Newsweek.

I would subscribe to the Economist if I could get it for a dollar a week. I had an offer for that price, but I misplaced it.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Fond of their political work. Their endless blowjobs of the Hollywood hierarchy remain (a) boring, and (b) borderline-retarded.

Draft saved Draft deleted