1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsweek vs. Time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SCEditor, Jun 12, 2006.

?

If you had to choose one, which would you order?

1. Time

56.3%
  2. Newsweek

43.8%
  1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I just started getting Time not that long ago. Paid something like 20 bucks for two years.

2. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

The Week trumps both.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

As does The Economist although it's pretty pricey over here.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Beat me to it Huggy. I was just going to suggest The Economist too.

5. The Week is great ...

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If you read newspapers daily, there is no reason to read Time or Newsweek, IMHO.

Read the New Yorker weekly.

Vanity Fair can be good but it's hit-n-miss. The Atlantic Monthly is very good, but sometimes my legs fall asleep on the toilet cause the main article can be extremely long, though interesting.

7. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I have a subscription to the New Yorker. It's by far my favorite magazine to read. I skim newspapers regularly online, but sometimes I'll go a few days without reading the news section (I know, I'm a terrible person). I like both these magazines, but I'd like a subscription to one. I was just soliciting the board elders (and newbies) for some advice over which they prefer.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Another vote for the Economist. It's not even close.

9. Baloo

Baloo Member

It's certainly not even close in prices. Yes, the Economist is great, but it's v. pricey. Between Newsweek & Time, I think Time is better written, has some really good packages, and has a good handle on throwing in something off-beat and interesting into the mix.

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

My vote would be for Newsweek. I think the writing is better than Time, and their writers have more personality. I like Allan Sloan and Jane Bryant Quinn because they make econmoic news make sense and yet provide some depth. I think they relate better to regular people than Time does.

The Economist has a ton of information each week, but unless you are really interested in world and economic news and are willing to sacrafice stories about entertainment and other things in the US and had a lot of time, I wouldn't pay the $2 per issue that is the best subscription rate I have seen..

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Tree hugger.

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i have subscribed to both for years. i brought time into our marriage and the wife always was a newsweek girl, so we kept getting both. i think the fact that i'm obsessed with magazines (we subscribe to 16 mags) has something to do with it.

i agree with gold in that newsweek's writing is a little better and the writers tend to have a little more personality. i think maybe it comes from being an independent and not part of a massive chain. but after years of reading both magazines i don't have a strong preference for one over the other. both do things well and both sometimes do odd things (when time put dixie chicks on the cover a few weeks ago, newsweek devoted exactly one inch to the chicks). i read both almost every week but i only read the news sections in whichever one i pick up first (i read only the features in the other one).

i know that doesn't help much but i think the point is that you can't go wrong either way.

Draft saved Draft deleted