1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsweek: The No. 1 most useless college degree is...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

Median salary? Bullshit.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

When I was university, there were a lot of useless degrees, unless one planned on entering academia as a professor: philosophy, foreign languages, literature, music, etc.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They're only predicting 4,400 jobs lost from 2008-2018?

Hell, Gannett's already exceeded that total in the last three years by themselves.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

One of my cousins majored in art history. Another majored in theater. All told, they have used those degrees to make about $500 in the last 10 years.

One's a waitress and one went back to culinary school.

As dim as it is in journalism land, I refuse to believe it's the most useless degree.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Those are just anecdotal examples though. I know plenty of people with journalism degrees doing even less. I graduated from a state school with a journalism degree in 2007, with about 60 other people. Last I knew, I was the last reporter standing from that class. The class after me, similar, has two people - one print, one TV guy who only gets on camera occasionally, and more often works production. The class before me, none.

Some of them have PR jobs, but more have either gone back for teaching or other degrees, or are working service jobs. Waitress, managing a Dunkin' Donuts, etc.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's the thing. You can't define "journalism" so narrowly as to include only newspaper. Corporate PR and communication is where the big money is at. There is also electronic journalism, online journalism, photojournalism, and other areas. A lot of the people I went to school with had absolutely zero interest in newspapers and only took reporting and editing classes because they were required.

Greenwell, let me guess, the Dunkin Donuts manager makes more than the entire sports staff at the Podunk Press put together?

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I saw something on Yahoo a while back that listed various median salaries for various profession. Now I did not investigate how they gathered their data (urban vs. rural; entry-level vs. experienced, etc.), but I could not help but notice this:

The listed salary for a city sanitation worker was higher than what anyone on our current sports staff (at a decent daily newspaper) is earning.

All I could muster was: "Dear God, has it really come to THIS? I spend my days researching and writing information, painstaking hours editing and designing the best damn newspaper I possibly can. And make less than the guy who comes along after me to chuck it in the hopper?"

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I've been in the newspaper biz for 17 years and my "mid-career salary" is half that number.

Must be because I majored in political science ...

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Where the hell they come up with those figures I have no idea. Not in the universe I live in, that's for sure.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I recently discovered I make less than a janitor/bus driver with only a high school diploma in the county school system. I nearly went off the deep end.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"How does one get a career in the janitorial arts?"

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

My brother has a history degree. What the hell does one do with a history degree? Sell natural gas of course!

Draft saved Draft deleted