1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsweek Sold; Meacham Out.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Aug 2, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sold to 91-year-old Sidney Harman, the husband of California Congresswoman Jane Harman.

Any reason to believe it can survive, let alone thrive?

Also, here's the Times' story: http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/02/newsweek-deal-announced-meacham-will-leave/?hp

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I suppose it can thrive as long as the wannabe mogul wants to keep losing dough on it. But since he's 91, it might be more accurate to say how long his heirs want to keep losing dough on it.
    Haven't read an issue of Newsweek in years. Even in the doctor's office, I'd read a two-month old SI before I'd read this week's Newsweek. It really blows.

3. YankeeFan

Having no idea what Sidney Harman looks like, does anyone want to take a guess at how old this publicity photo of him is?

[​IMG]

He sure doesn't look 91.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Holy smokes, thanks for that photo!
    For a moment there, I thought that I had bought Newsweek without knowing it.
    -- Sid Hartman, Minneapolis Star Tribune

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

You're correct in your assessment, Mike, but how do you know if you haven't read it?

6. Michael_ Gee

Sorry, change the word "blow" to "blew" in my earlier post. Once a periodical starts stinking up the joint, it rarely revives itself.

7. YankeeFan

Sold for $1.00 and the outlook isn't good unless Harman & (eventually) his family are willing to absorb big losses for years to come:

8. Michael_ Gee

The guy's 91! Hell, he makes Murdoch look like Orson Welles at the START of "Citizen Kane." He can't accept years of losses. He ain't got years. His heirs must be planning how they can bump him off and get away with it during the 2010 estate tax holiday.

9. YankeeFan

LOL.

I tease my parents whenever they go on an expensive vacation.

I'm one of six kids, between their spending & my mother's health costs, there's not going to be anything left.

At least dad didn't go out and buy a money hemorrhaging news weekly.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

A 91-year-old man buys a weekly magazine. This shit just writes itself.

11. YankeeFan

Howard Fineman leaving Newsweek for the Huffington Post:

How much can the Huffington Post possibly pay?

Newsweek appears to be in a death spiral, but I'm surprised to see him land here.

12. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

It doesn't help that Huffington Post is losing cash by the ton, and is getting more hits for cheesecake tabloid photos than for actual journalism.

Draft saved Draft deleted