1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsweek: Single Moms Look Up To Gosselin, Palin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Apr 30, 2010.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I could barely stand to read this article beyond the first three or so graphs. When I got to the part where they talked about Kate Gosselin & Sarah Palin as the "patron saints for working mothers," I had to stop reading. I just couldn't stand it any longer.

I didn't know working mothers appreciated these celeb-status-craving, in-your-face, never-lets-America-hear-how-they-and-the- kids-manage-in-the-REAL-WORLD attention grabbers were doing when not on camera.

We DO know Sarah Palin has an 8-figure income from speaking, but I doubt Gosselin is doing as well. And both are being looked up to by single mothers.....? Someone (tactfully, please) explain this to me.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/236931?GT1=43002

2. I will tactfully explain this: Newsweek is a disaster these days. Have you picked up a hard copy lately? It's an absolute shell of what it used to be. It actually made me sad to flip through and see what it's become. Time now runs circles around it.

3. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Yeah, Sarah's a great role model for single moms: When things get rough at work, quit.

And Gosselin? Another winner. More important to be on a TV dancing show than spend time with your kids.

Good grief, Charlie Brown.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Pointless, breathless, trite, shallow.

Referring, I guess, to both the article and the referenced mothers.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Single moms watch TV, I guess.

In all seriousness, addressing the Gosselin thing - insomuch that quoting five random women who were probably coaxed on what to say is a thing - I think it has something to do with how the media prefers to package her as the victim to a layabout, feckless cheat who can't support his kids. I suspect some single moms have experience with those kinds of men.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Time and Newsweek have become blood brothers to the tabloids at the checkout counter where they also now reside -- except with some pretentious pseudo-intellectual bullshit gloss put on their fundamental content -- marketing what's on TV to feebs who have lives outside the tube.

7. There's a reason The Economist is one of the lone print success stories of the 21st century.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Newsweek and Time are no longer really in the same arena. Time still covers breaking news; Newsweek made itself over as an "analytical" product a while back. At least in that format, it can be honest about its liberal bent, and I say that as a lib.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Kate is the perfect role model for women.

1. She treated her husband like complete shit their entire marriage, belittling him, bossing him around and never once apologizing for it.

2. When Jon finally gets tired of her shit and leaves, Kate somehow comes across as the poor victim.

3. She has five nannies that do the grunt work of parenthood, leaving her to get plastic surgery and smile on television.

It's what every woman wants.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wake me when they appear not in Newsweek, but Playboy.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Kate? No way! Ms. Palin? If she's holding a firearm, yep.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Well Palin's daughter's baby's daddy was in Playgirl.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted