1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsweek rips Duke lacrosse prosecutor

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by flaming_mo, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Not arguing the coverage; as mo says, it;s been a big story for the mag from jump. But Evan Thomas is the biggest bigfoot the magazine has, and his beat is primarily DC politics and the CIA. And they trot him out for this? I'm sure it has nothing to do a) with the institution involved, and b) the cultural/ethnic/economic status of the defendants.
    This isn't the Scottsboro Boys, AL.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

How are all 30 of these men known as "entitled snots"? I'm just wondering - I don't know them from Adam.

Is there evidence that all 30 are entitled snots? Links? All 30?

Does that include the lone black guy?

If someone in your family has been successful financially (you know, the American Dream?) does that make all offspring entitled snots?

I would guess that in any group of 30, there are some assholes. But why are all 30 of these guys labeled that way? They may be - I just didn't know all 30 have been identified individually as entitled snots.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No it's not the Scottsboro Boys. But it is part of the reparations package.

4. It is?
    In what way?
    Oh, yes. The way that black people are powerfully advantaged within the criminal justice system as opposed to wealthy white folks.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Funny thing is, these false accusations have done a lot to deter a 14-year-old from reporting a rape.

7. Funny thing is, most law-enforcement types will tell you that false accusations of rape are extremely rare, and that a reluctance to testify has more to do with the crime itself, and with what happens to the alleged victim, than anything else.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Let's clear this up a little folks. Put aside the accuser's reputation, put aside the wealth or status of the accused and boil it down to the essentials. It's hard enough to prove a rape actually happened. It could, in some cases, be next to impossible to prove that charges were false. A not guilty verdict isn't enough, by itself, to make any rape charge a false one, and by charging this woman, you could indeed open the door to some very dangerous interpretations of the law. Let accused people go after their accuser in the civil courts if they feel they've been wronged. Don't make it harder for rape victims to come forward.

9. trounced

trounced Active Member

If she was a rape victim, I'm all for her coming forward. Because she isn't a rape victim and claims that she is (well, sometimes she does), she should be prosecuted.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wait, how do we know she's not a rape victim? There appears to be a chance she wasn't raped but that hasn't been proved either.

11. trounced

trounced Active Member

She wasn't raped by any of the lacrosse players. It just didn't happen. We should be happy that she wasn't raped. Some people seem to be disappointed.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That doesn't mean she wasn't raped.

Draft saved Draft deleted