1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsweek rips Duke lacrosse prosecutor

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by flaming_mo, Jun 18, 2006.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Read the Newsweek story. That's my definition of "made it up."

Yes, it's true that the police and courts are stretched thin. That's all the more reason to let people know that if they waste the authorities' time and money with fabricated allegations, they'll be subject to prosecution.

C'mon, you're joking right? You don't really believe what you're saying.

2. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Regarding the Duke players losing a season -- no sarcasm font on. That was flat out bullshit it happened to them.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Aw, poor babies.

And I don't argue with people who play the smug-asshole game. Y'all enjoy, and I'll await the trial before determining if those Dookies are really to cry for.

4. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

See that's what I mean. You're generalizing everyone on the team. Even if there are stuck-up, nosesnots on the team, there are others who are genuinely good people who are happen to be talented and hard-working lacrosse players. Regardless of whether a rape happened, there are (and I'll say this confidently as a fact) innocent victims on that team.

I cover preps for one of the wealthiest communities in the country. (Pretty much true with all the community here in the Bay Area) Believe it or not, there are good, well-rounded people here too, even if their parents are rich off their asses and they get everything handed to them. Don't automatically discount the rich.

5. trounced

trounced Active Member

"Something sexual definitely happened?" What does that mean? Do you mean dancing?

This woman should be prosecuted.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Absolutely, PE . . . that's eminently fair, and I wholly agree.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Huh?

If these guys are innocent -- which they are until proven guilty -- you'd be thrilled to feed them to the dogs?

Would you feel the same way if this was, say, a Junior B hockey team or an SEC basketball team?

Being wealthy isn't a crime. Hiring strippers isn't a crime either, nor is being employed as a stripper. (At least I don't think so.) Filing false charges can be, though.

8. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

That's a frightening attitude. Hope you never serve on a jury.

9. Evan Thomas gets this assignment?
    This is enough of a towering injustice that Newsweek brings its biggest bigfoot off the bench to write the piece?
    Must not be any news elsewhere.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Kate Faber has a wikipedia entry for chrissake.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Kate+Faber

Worrying about Kate Faber's name right now seriously redefines closing the barn door after the cows left.

11. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Yeah..I'd say its an injustice when a Prosecutor shows complete bias, ignores any and all evidence that proves innocence, and still decides to indict. Then, take into account Nifongs town meatings pandering to his constituients for votes, the racial climate in Durham,........its a pretty big story. Especially when you consider 2 months ago the entire country was led to believe it was an "open and shut case".

12. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

Newsweek had OJ-sized mugshots of the defendants splashed on the cover several weeks back, so they've covered the case pretty aggressively from the beginning.

Draft saved Draft deleted