1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsweek rips Duke lacrosse prosecutor

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by flaming_mo, Jun 18, 2006.

1. That's interesting that you were apparently in the room and therefore know without a shadow of a doubt that Kobe was innocent. You really should have told someone he would've been let off the hook earlier.

The Duke allegations look shadier by the day. But nobody really knows what happened in that room other than Kobe and that girl.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It makes a lot of people uneasy when an accuser's name is mentioned, and the posts have been killed by the mods in the past when names were named like that.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The American Association of Rapists is behind you all the way. Rape is a tough enough, degrading enough crime to report, without turning it into Russian roulette for true victims.

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

That's a cheap shot, and a stupid one. This woman has not only done harm to the people she falsely accused, she's also made it harder for true rape victims to be believed. I repeat, if she made this up, she should be prosecuted for filing a false police report, at the very least.

5. dooley_womack1

Most rape cases are not clear cut, evidence-wise. If you set the precedent that the alleged victim of a rape will be prosecuted, rape will become the nation's dark little secret again. These poor, disadvantaged Duke boys can always go to civil court for a redress to their reputation, if they really need it.

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I'm not talking about most rape cases. I'm talking about this one, which does seem to be quite clear-cut. As a practical matter, what do you think the Duke kids, for whom I have little sympathy by the way, would get from suing this woman? Think ofthe whole shitstorm this woman started, the amount of man-hours from the police and DA's office that were spent investigating something that never happened. That's criminal.

7. dooley_womack1

But "this one" can become macro as far as judicial precedent goes. Something sexual definitely happened. And unless you were the omniscient narrator of a bunch of people's lives down in Durham, I really don't think you can say how "clear-cut" the case is.

And yes, I'll gladly throw some entitled snots' reputations temporarily under the bus so a 14-year-old girl will not be deterred from reporting a rape.

8. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

The Duke guys didn't just lose their reputation. They lost a SEASON!!! How do they get that back?

9. dooley_womack1

I really hope the sarcasm font was on, PE

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Now, the Dukies can get back to their pleasant daydreams regarding peeling the skin off black people (sarcasm font ON . . . ) . . .
    little shits.

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Dooley, you must just like to argue, because some of the positions you take are just ridiculous. Are you really saying that women ought to be able to accuse others of rape without fear of criminal punishment if it can be proven that they made it up? How does that help the cause of true rape victims? They ought to be the ones angriest at this accuser because she just made it that much harder for real victims to make their case. And yes, this case is clear-cut. I realize that nothing seems that way to you, because you're the one who thinks there's not enough evidence to show that Bonds did steroids, but that's not even the issue. You seem to be saying that whether she made it up or not, she shouldn't be prosecuted. That's just ludicrous.

12. dooley_womack1

What's your definition of "made it up?" A not-guilty verdict? No evidence of anything sexual having gone on? The police and the courts have enough trouble having the resources to investigate crimes. I'm sure they would just love another layer of bullshit to slog through.

And cut out the ad hominem crap. I sincerely believe just about any argument I make on here. I'd be pathetic otherwise.

Draft saved Draft deleted