1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsweek on ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 18, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I pay $60 a month for Dish, with Showtime.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I was channel-surfing yesterday morning and saw Sportscenter when I flipped past ... on Teen Disney.

Now that's synergy.

3. This is why my point about the possibility of cable companies making <b>more</b> under a la carte pricing is so important.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I was speaking more to the people who push for a la carte pricing by saying, "I never watch half the channels I have anyway."

It's foolish to think that a la carte pricing will save you money unless you truly want a very basic package, and even those are available now.

And, for the record, bundled cable packages generally run $100 plus tax around my neck of the woods, including phone and internet. Without phone or internet, they're around $80 if you want HD/DVR.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Newsweek story went off on a couple of odd tangents.

Mentions how ESPN sidestepped Roethlisberger sexual assault case in 2009 . . . but then made a point of mentioning that for the Dec. 19, 2011 game vs. the 49ers, the network tossed about several "non-rape" storylines. As in, "they're still avoiding it!!!"

Listen, I am no fan of Roethlisberger, but 30 months after the fact with the case long since settled, of course there was no mention of it. Nor should there have been.

Story also called Berman's "Swami" always insightful. Whatever.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was trying to figure out when that game they were talking about was. Was too lazy to go back and look, but that jumped out at me too.

And I pay about 160 a month for Verizon HD/DVR with HBO/Skinemax (which are packaged together for some stupid reason), and my FiOs internet service bundle.

7. JPsT

JPsT Member

I'm down to occupy your place. You get all the channels.

I'll bring the beer.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

To save money, you are better off buying one of those phone/cable/internet bundles. Sounds like BDC99 has one of those.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

No phone on mine, but you can definitely save money going that route. I don't need a land line.

10. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Was this the issue of Newsweek that had a picture of Obama on the front with the headline "Why are Obama's critics so dumb?"

Draft saved Draft deleted