1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsweek: 'Heaven is Real'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Lot of chatter this week about the magazine's latest attention-grabbing cover, a piece by a neurosurgeon about his supposed journey to the afterlife during a bacteria-caused coma. It's very, very detailed - and quite well-written, though pretty trippy:

http://www.theweek.co.uk/media/49493/newsweek-%E2%80%98hits-new-low-%E2%80%98heaven-real-cover

I read the article yesterday, and the most interesting stuff is when he writes about how, within a few decades, we'll start to have scientific proof that consciousness exists beyond the brain, i.e. that the brain is the vehicle for the mind, not the producer of it. That, of course, seems to be pretty much the opposite of the going trend in that discipline. I wish he would have expanded on that thread a little more.

I know we've had afterlife threads before, but thought I'd toss this piece up here for discussion. Comments welcome on an array of related threads: The afterlife in general; Newsweek's news judgment here; The doctor's credibility; etc., etc.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

So is Satan.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Was just going to post that. Fucker.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Heaven is real. And all dogs go there. And all lesbians are super hot and perky bisexuals.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Hey, you could have posted the song, instead!

As ridiculous as that cover is, the album is great. The best song is "The Christian Life" (been covered by many others):

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I've narrowed my belief system down to being convinced that every currently believed version of the afterlife and the idea that a complex, ordered universe of rules capable of creating sentient life lacks a sentient cause to be equally ridiculous. Anything in between, I struggle with.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Whether or not Heaven is real is certainly a subject worthy of debate, but I'm pretty sure Mills Lane is ready to call it a TKO in the question of whether or not Newsweek is still a magazine that practices serious journalism. This is yet another attempt blatant, shameless stab by "Godweek" at increasing sales. It's not like we don't have a fucking election going on or anything.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

All strippers are working their way thru college/med school.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Seen on Interstate 65 in northwest Indiana:

[​IMG]

If you're driving south, you see the other side of the sign: "Hell is Real."

Apparently you can find these scattered across the country. I'm sure people drive by and say, "Well, I'm convinced."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is no shit here: They actually have a graphic in the story displaying their prior religion covers. Scout's honor.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I went to heaven during a visit to our family dentist's office when I was about nine. It was great.

12. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

How did being the news weekly interested in religion work out for U.S. News?

Draft saved Draft deleted