1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsweek Columnist on WalMart

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Sep 7, 2006.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Unions were a godsend in this country when 9 year olds were working in coal mines, steelworkers were losing limbs in accidents and blue collar workers in general were getting paid a pittance for dangerous work and long hours.

But there are enough laws on the books and enough oversight by local, state and federal goverment to render unions obsolete. In some cases, they cost a community jobs. All you have to do is go to Western Pennsylvania and West Virginia and see how many working coal mines have been shut down because the company couldn't afford to do business any longer.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I didn't think I had to show evidence of something that is apparent to anyone with two eyes. Are there hundreds of millions of Chinese people who are living on $2 a day? Yes. It's an extremely overpopulated country, whose markets and trade patterns are kept in a vice by government control. Duh.

China is also a country that has gone from a completely, iron-fisted, controlled economy to one that has liberalized over the past 10 years. Are their markets free? Not by a long shot. But even with small bits of movement toward a free economy, the result is that for the hundreds of millions still living in extreme poverty, hundreds of millions more have seen their standard of living increase in manifold ways. It's been written about so extensively, and been pointed out so often by people who visited the country over that time and seen the changes, I didn't really think I needed to show "evidence" of it (as if it's been some small effect).

They allow some foreign companies in (which operate under government control), liberalize some trade policies, and the country sees benefits as a result. The benefit has been inarguable. While our economy remained stagnant last quarter, China's grew more than 11 percent. It's been like that quarter after quarter.

Instead of acknowledging the benefit hundreds of millions of people have seen as a result of that economic growth (and it isn't like this hasn't been written about in hundreds of stories), you're conclusion is, "They liberalized their markets a little and half of an overpopulated, backward-ass country is still living in poverty. I told you free markets don't work!"

Most people look at what is going on there and wonder, "Damn, if they opened up their markets, just how much would their economy dominate the world within two decades?"

3. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Yeah, I read Will's column in the local rag today. He knocked it out the park (especially the bit about Kerry and his help shopping at Wal-Mart). The mainstream Democratic party needs to step away from this anti Wal-Mart crusade because it's a looser in the parts of the country where they need to win.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You have got to be kidding me.

As evidenced by Wal-Mart (and other employer's hiring) practices, draconian right to work laws, being able fire at will and generally re-creating labour practices of the 19th century, we need unions more than ever.

Since the days of Ronnie Reagan, the rights of workers have been steadily eroded and their ability to collective bargaining has just about disappeared.

But it will all be good when American class differences are further exacerbated as the number of working poor grows every year.

Like I said a thousand times, there's no free lunch. You think that paying people slave labour wages is OK, get ready to dole out with increased social assistance.

And Kerry's attack on Wal-Mart is stupid politics. He's right but it's stupid politics.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I didn't realize that my two eyes, which have actually spent time in China every year over the past 5 years, were not good enough.

1. I NEVER said free markets do not work. I'm very much in favor of free markets. If you can find a post that says I'm not, go do so. Until then, try not to stick words in my posts that have never and will never actually happen.

2. The over-populated areas are much more in the cities. It is far less over-populated in the country-side areas.

3. Their government does have their hand in the jar. Thus the lack of full growth.

4. It is mostly corporate corruption and government involvement that keeps the standard of living lower. However, as stated, GO OUTSIDE THE MAJOR CITIES. That is where you find downright shit living. You want to see abject poverty? Try going where those factories are located.

Their city life has increased quite a bit. But this is a small segment of the entire country. It would be like going to NYC and then driving to Trenton and finding people eating grass because they don't have any food.

The issue in all of this isn't so much free market, it is the exploitation of cheap labor. Were any of these factories to pay a legitimately close living wage they would complain about paying labor too much and causing their profits to drop.

You can't argue unions are bad when you are using the alternative of paying damn near nothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted