1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsweek about to publish embarrassing McCain story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jun 28, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Because I know the guy hasn't pumped his own gas for years, and certainly hasn't since the campaign began. That doesn't make his energy policy ideas better or worse.

Honestly, with the schedules these candidates keep, knowing which town they're in is enough of a struggle.

2. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Doesn't it kind of beg the question (however shallow it may be):

If McCain can't manage his finances on one home, how's he going to manage the financial situation that faces this country right now?

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

On Franken: My understanding was that he got bad advice from his accountant. Basically his accountant told him to pay state income tax in Minnesota, but many places now charge state income tax for the work done in that state. So, as an example, if Franken spoke in NYC, he got a speaking fee. He should have paid NY state income tax on that fee.
    The same is true for professional athletes. They now have to pay income tax on games played in places they don't live.
    I don't understand the tax code well enough to explain it.
    Back to McCain.
    Not paying his taxes will hit some voters. Just like those those stories about Costa Rican housekeepers or nannies who aren't documented and working or have worked for candidates in the past and that trips up a campaign.
    Most places, like my state, if you don't pay your property tax, you can't get your car registered and that's something that people understand.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If a candidate doesn't know what a gallon of gas costs, how can they portray themselves as being in touch with the people when they don't know what their issues are?
    Love or hate Bill Clinton, but that sense of staying in touch is what got him elected. Twice.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, for one, what a gallon of gas costs can vary depending on where "the people" live.

Had he answered "too damn much," he'd have been fine, is all I'm saying. No one running for president pumps their own gas. Nor do they grocery shop, or anything else that we all do all the time. They don't run errands. They don't have time.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The cost of a gallon of milk scene in West Wing was great.
    All of Bartlett's people had no idea and Charlie rolled out all the different costs and how you could get a coupon in the Post to make it cheaper.

I would just say about McCain, as the motorcade whizzes past the next gas station, make a mental note of what it says. I understand that important people don't do the regular things that people do, but he has staff and surely he gets local papers. Maybe he'll look at the grocery store ad next time.

7. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Precisely. It's the policy that counts. If George Bush came out tomorrow and recited all ten amendments in the Bill of Rights from memory, letter-perfect, it wouldn't change what he has attempted to do to them.

Draft saved Draft deleted