1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsweek about to publish embarrassing McCain story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, Jun 28, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Here's what pops into my mind: Between that story and the one that the McCain's are carrying six figures of credit card debt, and the loan secured with public financing, one has to ask how fucking broke McCain's campaign was and what exactly he's doing with his finances.

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

This isn't limited to Republicans, Al Franken (yes, THAT Al Franken) is running for a U.S. Senate seat in Minnesota and had some unpaid tax problems of his own, more than $50,000 worth.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2008/05/01/accountants/

Arnold's comment was spot on. I am so sick and tired of the hard-headedness of both sides of the political coin. Neither side is pure and angelic, without a blemish to call their own.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Al Franken's a creep.

Than again, he's seeking to unseat Norm Coleman.

Yet another tough match in which to wholeheartedly embrace either side -- typical of the past sixty years.

4. Stupid move for McCain because it gives his opponents something to rally on, but really a non-story in the whole scheme of things.

If Hilary were the nominee, she'd already have five commercials about it. Hopefully Obama will stick to the issues.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

You have no idea.

I'm breaking my rule about talking politics on the board to say I wish I could vote none of the above this election.

And that doesn't change if Jesse throws his hat in the senate ring.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm well-aware of some of the personal and professional stunts he's pulled. Galling.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No, Jesse's as bad as the other two.

I'm not thrilled about Franken, but the DFL brought it on themselves.

Field a decent candidate every so often, and people won't think they can parachute in and get your nomination.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Electing Jesse was enough of a clown show. Not good.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That was more of my take. And I feel this could make a ripple with voters.
    A few weeks ago, I was listening to a political analyst talking about how McCain can avoid talking about his age by "not acting old." Well, forgetting things -- especially when you're worth a gazillion dollars and could hire someone to take care of it for you -- doesn't ring well with hordes of people who don't do research.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Discussing politics can turn people into morons. There are two people I love dearly, but when they start talking politics I have to shout them down and just say "Mom, dad, we're not going there..."

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

In that same vein, a reporter hit McCain with the "How much does a gallon of gas cost?" yesterday, and McCain's response was along the lines of, "I don't know and it doesn't matter if I know."

Which is pretty much right. But he's sure running out of turf to try and paint the other guy as an elitist. Not even the national television folks are going to be able to swallow that, if this keeps up.

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Zeke - how is it not relevant if McCain doesn't know what a gallon of gas costs? He's trying to make the oil issue a centerpiece of the campaign.

Draft saved Draft deleted