1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsroom Star Player - Small Midwestern Town

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

This just popped up on Jjobs.com
    JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Newsroom star player

Have fun with this one.

Position:
    Newsroom star player
    Job Status: Not Specified
    Salary: Not Specified

[​IMG]
    Description:
    Ambitious, enterprising newsroom star needed: Small Midwestern daily newspaper is looking for key player who embraces community journalism to help us make a good news product even better. Ideal candidate will have experience and top-notch skills in all facets of newspapering, including reporting and writing news, features and prep sports; page production; copy editing; and web/social media. Must be a strong leader who works well collaboratively and thrives on the non-stop challenges of working at a small town daily. Ideal candidate will be detail-oriented and grounded in importance of fairness, accuracy, and adherence to AP style, but always looking for opportunities to help take us in new, innovative direction. Apply through Journalismjobs.com with cover letter, resume and clips.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

It's tough to land a star player when you're not willing to spend free-agent money.

This place sounds like the Pittsburgh Pirates of daily journalism.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

We want a star player, but we're not willing to say what city the franchise is in.

Sounds like a real championship-calibre paper.

4. EddieM

EddieM Member

I would be terrified to apply to a mysterious Midwestern city. That's a dangerous crapshoot.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Well, you don't have top-notch skills in all facets of newspapering anyway.

6. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

It's like they're trying to keep secret where they're at because it will probably scare applicants off, but this might be just as bad.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Many times when they don't specify the location, it's because they're trying to replace someone they haven't fired yet.

Ice9 likes this.
  8. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Bingo. Seen this move too many times, and it's totally unethical. Why would you want to work for a paper that won't say what city it's in because they're trying to scare/fire someone? Talk about job security. Scumbags.

9. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I'm always (sadly) amused by the job openings with the following:
    Salary: Not Specified

10. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Guessing game is all it is. Doesn't list location, salary, and the newsroom star player is for sports? I'm sure the rest of the newsroom in place can't wait for a newsroom star to grace their publication. The great unknown maybe isn't that great. Who knows?

11. ringer

ringer Active Member

You'd think they could at least mention the state.

"Midwest" is kind of broad.

Draft saved Draft deleted