1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsroom Manager opening at ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ESPNCAREERS, Nov 21, 2007.

?

Do you have experience?

1. Internet

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  2. Television

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. Print Sports News Production

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  1. ESPNCAREERS

ESPNCAREERS New Member

At ESPN, Inc., sports and multi media operations are our choice, our affiliation and our language. If you would like to join the worldwide leader in sports entertainment, with a broadcast portfolio that include over 50 national and international business entities, we have room on the team for one more.

NEWSROOM MANAGER
    ESPN Production Stats/Analysis-Data Entry

Play an integral role in our Bristol, CT based Newsroom operations as you oversee the group responsible for data entry of game or event statistics in a real-time situation.

Responsibilities include:
    • • ensuring Statistics Editors/Statistics Associates are processing information quickly, accurately and under the proper procedures
      • reacting to and solving issues
      • suggesting/addressing redeployment of resources as events develop
      • assisting the Newsroom Lead in communication with all ESPN platforms
      • overseeing six or more direct full-time reports, providing regular feedback, and conducting performance reviews for those reports
      • making decisions on a nightly basis as the news operation monitors feeds, identifies when there are issues with feeds and steps in to manually build feeds
      • implementing process improvements for accurate data intake
      • analyzing/refining a standard for proper technique
      • ensuring accuracy of content in a real-time basis
      • ensuring that communication lines between all parties involved remain open
      • handling other related duties as assigned

To qualify, you must have 5-7 years experience in Internet, television or print sports news production, including several years managing staff, along with demonstrated ability to make quick and accurate decisions, effectively lead staff, and take proactive action in a fast-paced newsroom environment. Knowledge of a wide variety of sports, proper statistical and scorekeeping procedures, and superior oral/written communication, team building and motivational skills will also be expected.

ESPN treats every employee with respect and dignity, and offers a competitive salary, commitment to excellence, and a comprehensive benefits package. For immediate consideration, please apply online at: http://www.joinourteam.espn.com/joinourteam/home.html, reference JOB ID # 125787, and create a Profile. No phone calls please. Only qualified applicants will be contacted at this time. Relocation assistance available. ESPN is an EOE/AAE

Are you one of us?
    ESPN
    espn.com/joinourteam

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

OK, I'll do the honors:

Release the hounds! and You're hired!

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Like any of us wouldn't kill for that job?

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Are you serious? Did you read the job details? And it rules out anyone who's married. "Hey honey, we're moving to Bristol and i'm going to be working 80 hours a week. Pack up the kids."

5. fleishman

fleishman Active Member

would this involve the espn data group?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm just trying to figure out why there's a poll attached to a job listing.

7. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Because ... "At ESPN, Inc., sports and multi media operations are our choice, our affiliation and our language."

LAME.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Followed closely by World Wrestling "Entertainment." Silly me, I thought ESPN's mission statement including reporting the sports world's news.

9. Yeah, supervising data entry sounds like a blast.

10. What if I want to vote for all three in the poll?

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

PhilaYank, you outed yourself with this handle.

12. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

It could be rokski. Just sayin'.

Draft saved Draft deleted