1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsroom Debate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jun 23, 2007.

?

NFL Europe or NFL Europa?

Poll closed Jun 28, 2007.
  1. NFL Europe

22 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. NFL Europa

20 vote(s)
    47.6%
  1. Hamburg Sea Devils beat the Frankfurt Galaxy 37-28. It was a good game and the "rejects" played well. The fans in the Commerzbank Arena numbered 48,125, too.

It was Hamburg's first title and its last, too. On the 29th, the NFL folded the development league in Europe saying it was losing US$30 million a year.

"The time is right to refocus the NFL's strategy on initiatives with global impact, including worldwide media coverage of our sport and the staging of live regular-season NFL games," Mark Waller, senior vice president of NFL International, said in a statement. "We will continue to build our international fan base by taking advantage of technology and customized digital media that make the NFL more accessible on a global scale than ever before and through the regular-season game experience."

I'll miss it. The wife and I enjoyed going to the games and the Germans were very into their teams, tracking players who left the league and advanced in the NFL, not to mention proudly wearing their team jerseys and buying memorabilia.

Now, I'll get my football fix by listening to late-afternoon and late-night college ball on the AM radio or via Internet and catching NFL playoffs on the satellite at 10 p.m.!

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Threadjacking: I'm glad my school, Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis, is being referred to more often as what most everyone calls it, IUPUI (yes, I know some locals call it "Oo-ey Poo-ey." If you're going to bastardize the name, it should be the more accurate "Ee-oo, Pee-oo"). It drives me crazy to see it abbrev'd Ind-Pur-Indpls, like a small airline's flight plan. Fortunately for my brethern IUPU school, Fort Wayne, everyone has been quicker to recognize it as IPFW, instead of Ind-Pur-Fort Wayne.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

NFL Eur-Ova

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Which poster on this thread works for the NFL? I just want to know who to thank for folding the league.

Draft saved Draft deleted