1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsroom Debate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jun 23, 2007.

?

NFL Europe or NFL Europa?

Poll closed Jun 28, 2007.
  1. NFL Europe

22 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. NFL Europa

20 vote(s)
    47.6%
  1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

They held the World Bowl Saturday. We wouldn't do anything with it otherwise, but figured that much was worth a spot in briefs.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Understood.

Who beat?

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Touche.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

One difference, though. España and Deutschland and Nippon and CCCP were the official names for their countries in their native languages. Europa is an English word (I guess?) and as such, we should call it by its official name. No matter how retarded it might be.

6. Johnny Dangerously

And while I'm at it, how many papers will have a story in tomorrow's paper about the Men's College World Series?

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

But isn't that more a debate of using the full name vs. using a shorter but more common variant? Technically, the site of the nation's most deadly shooting rampage is Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. But you'll never see that name in a newspaper, any section, any reason. It's Virginia Tech (a few older alumni still call it VPI, but they're a rare bunch).

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

He's right, Johnny. It's not the same as changing NFL Europa to NFL Europe. We're now getting into the rationalization phase, I believe. ;D

9. Johnny Dangerously

The NFL -- excuse me, the National Football League -- changed NFL Europe to NFL Europa. The NCAA changed Division I-A to the Football Bowl Subdivision. The difference is?

The thread made this turn because people said if that's the name, you use it. What I said in response was there will always be disagreement and, to a certain extent, hypocrisy, because everybody uses selective adherence to official names. I freely admit my hypocrisy, because I won't ever refer to Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College except to have fun with that name.

And yes, shotglass, we are now entering the rationalization phase.

By the way, the Men's College World Series just ended. ;)

10. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

LSU, of course, is an abbreviation recognized by the NCAA, along with a handful of others...UCLA and UTEP, off the top of my head. That's distinct from the National Football League, which I think it should always be on first reference. I'm a stick in the mud, I guess.

Of course, I'm a hypocrite, because I absolutely refuse to write "Bowl Subdivision" in any college football copy from henceforth.

11. Johnny Dangerously

I'm going to say "the big boys."

12. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Which is why I call it the NFL World Bowl Subdivision.

Draft saved Draft deleted