1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsroom Debate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jun 23, 2007.

?

NFL Europe or NFL Europa?

Poll closed Jun 28, 2007.
  1. NFL Europe

22 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. NFL Europa

20 vote(s)
    47.6%
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Dieser faden saugt!

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

'S funny, I was already thinking of this album before I got to your post. Came out the same year, too...
    [​IMG]

4. i still call it the World League

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And there you have it.

You don't give the sport David Beckham plays a "football" label, do you, even though that's what they call it where he plays?

Until my paper transfers me across the Atlantic, it's NFL Europe.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

We have a winner!!

7. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Europa has a nice, elegant flair to it. Europe sounds boring. Why don't they just call it NFL Eureka?
    That would get people's attention. ::)

Note: Cansportshick has watched to many CBC Dragon's Den commercials in the last week and she is liquor deprived.

8. Hell we still say Iwo Jima even though that's not the real name ... it's an American bastardization ... but then again ... what isn't?

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Well, it was the real name for a number of years, then the Japanese reverted back to Iwo Two (sp).

10. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

IMHO, NFL Europa looks like a typo to our readers.

It's just like the phrase "chomping at the bit". Technically, it's "champing at the bit", but it just looks too much like a typo.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't see where there's a real question here. It is called NFL Europa.

WE have to care. It is, by definition, our job to care.

I don't particularly care about the Arizona State-Washington State game at 12:15 a.m., but I'm still there in the office waiting for it to finish my college football roundup.

12. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Whatever is going to make it easiest to convey information to the reader is best. Europa looks like a typo.

New York's state H.S. tournaments typically have four regionals -- West, Central and I have no bleepin' idea what the other two are named. Which was pretty much my point in ramming through a policy that we would simply refer to them as state quarterfinals at our end of the state. I went 10 years without hearing a single coach or kid mention winning a Western Region championship. They'd always say we reached the state semifinals.

Giving it a fancy name does not help the audience understand what we're talking about.

Draft saved Draft deleted