1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsroom chatter distracting?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jakewriter, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty clear that most of you guys are desk jockeys. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Nobody that I've ever known listens to music while they write. Kind of hard for a writer to relate to someone's needs for music, but quite easy to relate to someone who prefers noise-canceling earphones to drown out the loudmouths.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Not on deadline, when you're trying to organize a bunch of facts and stats and stories in a short period of time, but for other stories (features, advances, long-form, etc.): Just about every writer I know listens to music while they write.

I've had dozens, maybe hundreds, of conversations with other writers about the best music to listen to while writing. I seriously think you're in the minority on this one.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yeah, only been a desker for the last two years, was a writer before that...and I always had my iPod with me.

4. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I'd say classical for me, something not too light, but not Wagner-type heavy either. Or some jazz ballads. Nothing avant garde or too discordant.

5. Doc Holliday

Wow. That's an interesting response. I've worked in this business 20 years and I've never seen anyone write while listening to music. Nobody in our sports department or newsroom does it. I don't doubt what you say is true. I just had no idea that many people would listen to music and write at the same time. No way I could do that.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Viking black metal or doom usually does the trick for me.

That or Biiber.

7. Doc Holliday

As Tom Petty would say ... "Stellar"

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I can't listen to songs with a lot of lyrics. I vacillate between Metallica and airy music such as Van Morrison and RJD2. Rap is pretty much a no-go because I inadvertently start writing in rhyme.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I am a desker, but it still took some getting used to. I wasn't sure I could do it either, but it helps me focus now, and blocks out the chatter with something constant.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Just to pick a fight: Nobody thinks or works better listening to music. It's a distraction.

11. Doc Holliday

I agree.

But, to add insult to injury, I could listen to music all day long and do the desk. Occassionally when called upon, I do when guys take vacation or whatnot. I mean seriously ... Draw a box, drop it in, copy, paste. Repeat over and over. It aint that hard.

That's why the suits have been creating these super-size design centers/copy desks and cutting all the paginator jobs. They're disposable jobs that can be done in an assembly/factory type of manner.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yes, the only thing more distracting than newsroom chatter and music at work is the mere existence of those copy desk drones with their simpleton jobs and overpriced salaries.

Draft saved Draft deleted