1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsroom chatter distracting?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jakewriter, Dec 17, 2012.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Try Songza. It offers a lyrics-free option, which I find very helpful.

And Versatile has good taste in music.

2. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

1. I don't mind cheering for a team at the office if you aren't covering them, so long as that's not over the top.
    2. Never come to work to watch that game though if you are off.
    3. Beyond the obvious reasons why you shouldn't and those already explained, unless you are in a room that is specifically a sports room (and unless you are at a big paper, you probably aren't) the TV is a newsroom TV and the working people have a right to use it at any moment. Your game could go into OT but it's time for the news. Too bad for your game.
    4. Always be respectful of those around you. I'm old school and I'd freak out if there was no noise/chatter in my newsroom, but excessive noise is a distraction. For those of you that have only worked sports all your life (or news), remember your deadline may be midnight but a reporter's deadline may be 7 p.m. and news desk may be 10 p.m. Deadlines vary not just shop to shop but section to section, so always be mindful, even if it seems early in the day to you.
    5. I like tacos.
    6. If you have a loud conversation take it to the break room. I couldn't care less how loud you get in the break room. It's for breaking, not working. And if you are a poor guy where the break room is right next to the newsroom...change shops. That's ridiculous. I had one shop where to get to the break room you had to go through the press room, then down a small hallway. Very isolated. And another shop it was on a different floor all together.
    7. If you have a problem with noise, approach that person directly first.
    8. Don't be hypocritical about it. I once worked with a guy that would bang around, speak loudly and make sure (intentionally or not) he was the center of attention with his noise. But if the news side made a bit too much noise he would pipe up with snide remarks "Sure is loud in here." "Hard to hear myself think", etc...
    9. I wouldn't work in a newsroom that the ME even considered banning headphones or earbuds. Forget about the music for a moment, but I'd rather not have every reporter transcribing interviews where I can hear them.

Draft saved Draft deleted