1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newsperson/Reporter-Sports, WHDH Boston

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by mjf38, Mar 3, 2009.

1. mjf38

mjf38 New Member

I don't know anything about this, but I saw it while I was browsing their website and thought someone on here might be interested. Here is the listing:

Job No. 2088

Title: Newsperson/Reporter-Sports
    Requirements: Research, report, write, produce and present Sports/News stories for air. 3-5 years of television reporting experience in medium or large market required. Solid journalist, aggressive reporter, excellent writer and outstanding on live shots. College degree preferred. Send tape and resume to Human Resources. WHDH-TV is an EOE employer.

http://www1.whdh.com/jobs/

2. bob

bob Member

That's probably Julie Donaldson's old job. They're using an occasional free-lancer now. They have two full-timers. The sports director is a solid, straight-laced guy. The second guy is a "cool" guy who cannot use the word "hockey." Instead, he calls it "ice capades." He calls every small athlete a "little motor scooter." Things like that. He's cool.

3. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Painfully unlikable sports department, that one is. Fran Charles might have been the last tolerable anchor they had.

4. bob

bob Member

There's also incredible turnover at that place.

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

If that's the second guy's attitude about hockey, what a terrible hire for WHDH.

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I suspect it's just him trying to be witty rather than dismissive of the sport -- a poor man's "Now for the night on frozen pond...". if you will.

Draft saved Draft deleted