1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspapers, WIAA at odds over photos, video

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wisportswriter, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Again, the WIAA does not own property rights to the schools' logos and team names the way the NFL does with its teams, for example.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I love how people say, "This is nothing more than a money-making ploy by the WIAA."

... And the newspapers are selling the photos... for what reason? ::)

At least if the money goes to the WIAA, then some of it ostensibly gets back to the kids. Not so the newspapers.

I'd never be in favor restrictions on editorial use...

But I'd love to be a lawyer representing the WIAA in this one. I think I could win.

3. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

TB, a smart lawyer will say that doesn't matter, that entering the state series and agreeing to abide by the rules -- just look at the small print on the back of credentials these days, then multiply by 20 -- means what the WIAA says goes. And since the WIAA owns the tournament the teams are playing in, the WIAA makes the rules. I'd say they can sell photo reprint rights the same way they can sell TV and radio (and presumably live Internet) rights.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Nice to finally see some people posting on this thread who get it.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If it runs in the paper, you should be able to seel the reprint. If it doesn;t run and you plan on putting it on line for sale... no, sorry..

And clerktypist, you may put me down for the first and only copy of the girls basketball book that would run these photos....

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Forgot the sarcasm font on my last post. And I wanted to postpad.

7. PressBoxJunky

PressBoxJunky New Member

While I understand where the WIAA is coming from, at the same time ... how many photos do papers really sell anymore.

See my above post regarding photo galleries. I realize, given the nature of the state tournament series, that this may be a bigger deal for papers covering smaller communities, but I would think for the most part parents would be more inclined to right-click the shots off the internet and let it be done at that. I think in the end, while both sides have some legitimate gripes on the matter, this seems like it could be setting a bad precedent for later down the road.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Sorry to disagree, but to me, posting pictures on your Web site with links to stories is an editorial use, not a commercial use. Stories and pics go hand in hand, it's always been like that. That doesn't change simply because it's on your Web site as opposed to in print.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Oz, when they're posting 20 pics, the intent is not to provide better coverage of a game. It's to provide an avenue for families to buy the pics.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I always thought it was to get as many Web site hits as possible, which in theory will help raise the rates you can charge online advertisers ... and bring in more money.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It's both.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not talking 20 pics, because we never post 20 pics with any story. But usually there is a pic or two that goes along with the story when it's posted on the Web site. That's editorial content, which means the WIAA doesn't deserve a cut.

Draft saved Draft deleted