1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

newspapers on Christmas

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jakewriter82, Dec 20, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yeah, on second thought, probably not the best choice of words.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've written a few of those Christmas features that nobody reads. Had one lady call very upset about the year I wrote about memorable Christmas disasters, (kids get locked in the bathroom, stuck at an airport in Witchita etc). The lady thought I defiled the joyous holiday, and I explained to her that these were fondly recalled Christmases that just didn't turn out exactly as planned. Another year was on treasured Christmas ornaments. One woman I interviewed said she had a few "angel" ornaments she still used that she recovered from a fire that killed her husband and her two sons. I had tears in my eyes when I wrote it and even more when she gave me a Christmas ornament as I left. I still hang that ornament on my tree every year and remember that time with great fondness.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

Family-ish community daily here and we're off for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Same for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. Sometimes it pays not to be at one of those "destination" papers.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Two reasons to print a Christmas Day paper:
    1) So everyone knows where they're going to do their day after Christmas shopping
    and
    2) So everyone knows what time to show up at the movies

I'm working Christmas Eve (7 p.m. deadline) and Christmas Day (regular deadline).
    I've got one other person working the sports desk (and in the department) with me on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day I'm solo on the sports desk & department.

Some local features, the AP year in review stories, bowl previews, and off day features for the local pro teams will fill up the section - not to mention very large pictures.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, there are those games, plus news doesn't stop happening around the world on Christmas, plus it's really a regular business day, and it'd be weird not to have one.

But, I'll say this: Dec. 26, not 25 or Jan. 1, is the day to run those pesky yearenders.

6. PhantomPunch

PhantomPunch Guest

I read papers all day long on Thanksgiving and Christmas. My parents do, too, and plenty of other people I know.

Dumb premise, that people don't read papers on those days. Two days of the year you can really relax, and that includes some time for good stories done well and played well for our enjoyment.

What I avoid those days is the Internet. Good break from that, with family all around, and I'd rather read newspapers on those days. Front to back, and especially if I'm away from home.

I'm actually getting to the point where the Internet bores me, and never thought I'd say that. A good newspaper is still good to have.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, a few years ago South Florida papers had a couple of things to run in that day's paper:

Heat vs. Lakers (Shaq vs. Kobe)

Nick Saban to coach Dolphins

8. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Didn't the Indonesian tsunami news run in Dec. 26 papers in the U.S. and Europe?

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Um, yeah. To pay the bills. Advertisers pay TRUCKLOADS to have their stuff wrapped inside newsprint on Dec. 25-26, the same as the Thanksgiving holiday. I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I *like* getting paid, and it is that revenue that allows me the luxury of golf balls and chicken wings. And rent.

rb

10. I've always been proud of the fact the newspaper prints every day - sort of like the U.S. Postal Services "neither rain sleet or hail" mantra, except in our case it's actually true.

Sure advertising is a part of it, but it also tells the community you're there for it. Doesn't matter if it's a hurricane, a tornado, or Christmas - you're getting your newspaper, even if we have to print it out of the Hardee's up the street. We'll get you the information you need when you really need it, not M-F 9-5 (well, except for advertising.)

Maybe I drank the Kool-Aid, but I think it's something to be proud of.

11. chazp

chazp Active Member

Aren't these short day? We have to put our paper to bed by noon on Christmas eve, then we're closed on Christmas day.

12. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Bless your parents.

Draft saved Draft deleted