1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

newspapers on Christmas

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jakewriter82, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I would think Christmas Day papers would be some of the most read of the year. For those that celebrate Christmas you open gifts and then you do a whole lot of sitting around the house, so random folks are more inclined to read the paper.

Plus, maybe it's just me, but when I'm on vacation I tend to read the newspaper more because I like to see what other cities do.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

On Christmas morning I will be at my parents' house and I will read the Athens paper, the Atlanta paper and the NY Times — all of which they get every day.

I'll open presents first, most likely, but I'll get to them. My parents will do the same.

At the same time, I don't expect to find that much in any of them, so it won't take me very long.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

We always used to run the football all-area team in the Christmas edition.
    Because of the ads, we'd have a big sports section since we were printed in tandem with A. So sports was always as big as the A section and it was jammed full of ads and we were wide open.
    Plus everything could be done in advance, so with the early deadline, doing the sports section was a snap.
    The reality is, that come Christmas afternoon, at most places you are going to be looking for something to do and reading the paper is something to do.

4. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

The real question for me is why they print during big blizzards. We had a pretty big snow out here last year, all roads shut down. I had to walk to the office to put out the sports section. It had no local content and no state wire content.
    It was never delivered. Seems like a waste of 30,000 newspapers to me.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Same here, a nice holdover from the days when this paper was family owned.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The more "useless" paper to me is Dec. 26. What do you even run in there?

Nothing is going on.

Stores are closed.

For sports, there's no games, except two NBA games. Heck, no Blue-Gray Game or Aloha Bowl (always a Christmas fave) anymore.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Rodeo standings :D

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm not even gonna react. Nope. Not gonna start the cowboy wars again. Not going to encourage SC to post a pic of a cowboy lying flat on his back. Nope.

Dead. To. Me. :D

9. sportschick

[​IMG]

Mention it, and it shall appear!

BTW: You love me and you know it, babe! :-* :-* :-* :-*

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Season complete with the NFR a couple weeks ago.

Thank gods for the AP's boxing schedule. :D

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Keep talking to the hand, you cowboy-jacker!

12. sportschick

You make it sound so dirty . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted