1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspapers like this make people want to quit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by journalist4life, Aug 8, 2006.

1. I hate "ect"

It's not fucking "ect"

It's etc.

Short for Latin "et cetera"

Your management sucks and you're the ect-boy. May you swirl together in torment forever like the lustful in Dante's Inferno.

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

here's a quarter, kid.

Go buy a clue.

and bring back some coffee, you know how I like it, and sharpen those pencils, and hey, the paste pots need refilling.

Well? What are you standing around with your thumb up your ass for?

Time's a wastin'. Deadline will be here before you know it.

Hmmmm, now where was I? Oh yeah, Gumlegs in the fifth at Aqueduct. Lemme call Vinnie and put down a bob on that one.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This is the part of your story that bothers me (not the part about you doing more work or the dopey publisher, that's pretty standard at small papers everywhere and you'll just have to deal). An editor who says he's "unsure" about when a raise kicks in is lying. He's the freaking editor. Instead he's trying to buy time by pushing you away. Hold him accountable to what he promised.

4. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

This is a pretty standard practice in any line of work. Let's get the young kid to work for nothing and promise more down the road. Some companies deliver on that promise, some tell you to tkae a fucking walk if you don't like it. I say do the extra work and if you don't get the raise you want take the fucking walk. And go out like George Castanza. "I want people to say now that guy got canned!!"

5. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

This is the part of the story that confuses me because the writing is so disorganized. It almost seems like it was written by somebody with about a C level grasp of English (or similar to when you take a paragraph in Spanish and run it through a Spanish to English translator).

I hate to say it, but if your professional writing is similarily disorganized, your editor may just be trying to be nice and that you aren't going to get the promotion.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

"It's early" doesn't work. It's just another way of saying "grammar doesn't matter to me."

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Did your brain just click on or something?

I do use the "it's late" reasoning sometimes. That one seems perfectly legit.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

shot - does a plain old, 'i just was really fucked up at the time,' work?

it usually works on my editor ... just looking for some board standards here.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

"It's late" works ... "I was fucked up" works once.

"It's early" never works.

Draft saved Draft deleted