1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspapers in demand ... for the coupons, naturally

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Jun 17, 2011.

1. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Our ME has sent out at least two memos reminding employees that bad things will happen to those who hoist inserts out of the mail room.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Just talked to the city editor, she said the circ people think people are stealing entire racks worth of newspapers just for the coupons. They're hitting early, paying for one and emptying the rack.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

New marketing ploy: coupons available to subscribers only!

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Unlike other inserts in the Sunday paper, I believe our shop (and other papers?) pays to obtain the glossy coupon packets we put in each week.

And yeah, we run a "$168 in coupons in today's Podunk Press" teaser in the rail, too.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Newspapers really should have to run a "This is how much you'd actually have to spend to 'save' $145" graphic with those.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Of course, two things are key with coupons: whether they're for stuff you'd buy anyway, and whether the store-brand equivalent is still cheaper even with the coupon savings for a name brand.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I subscribe to the Sunday paper just for the coupons. Save about $3 a week. Pays for the paper.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Damn straight.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

In essence, your audience is a trash can.

10. doctorx

doctorx Member

Had a circulation director who once made us take pictures of direct-mail flyers in the trash can at the post office.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

This is a good idea.

If the coupons are a huge attraction, give the subscribers a leg up or increase the price of the Sunday paper. If it has $120 worth of coupons each week then charge $4 or $5 on the rack, or don't put the coupons in there and have a lower prices.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I was a newspaper boy for the local Gannett paper nearly 30 years ago.

On Sundays, you could barely fit all the copies of the paper in your 10 speed's rat trap.

As a reader of newspapers, the first thing I always did was to sort out the coupons and other inserts, throw them away, and then dig in.

So, one week, I came up with the brilliant idea to sort out all the coupons from the Sunday paper ahead of time. This would help them all fit, make my job easier, and I'd be doing my customers a favor (or so I thought).

Boy was I wrong. People freaked the fuck out. I had no idea. So, I had to run around town dropping of coupons to the folks who wanted them.

Never did that again.

Draft saved Draft deleted