1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspapers in demand ... for the coupons, naturally

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Jun 17, 2011.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Guess we can only dream they, ya know, read it!
  2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If it was not for the coupons, I really don't think my wife would want us to subscribe for the three days a week we do.
  3. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

Wife buys a Sunday paper now and then for the coupons but we don't subscribe, and won't.
  4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

And don't forget about the classifieds.
  5. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

And the bowling scores.
  6. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

Whatever gets them in the door.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This. I don't care if they buy it to use as kindling in their fireplaces or line a birdcage, as long as they pay their 50 cents.
  8. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I was getting my balls busted at the bar on Thursday because of the price of our paper and how thin it's gotten. "It's a dime a page," one guy said.

"Thanks for reading," I replied.
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"That glass of horse piss your're drinking? It's 50 cents an ounce," I would have replied.
  10. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Can't say I was very quick-witted at the time.
  11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Yep, that's what we do. Wife talks time to time about getting Saturday-Sunday deal for the coupons. We used to subscribe daily but no more. I read it for free online. Yes, I'm one of THOSE people.
  12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We've caught folks going through the recycling bin at the press looking for coupons.

The newsroom receptionist said once the TV show (Extreme Couponing?) started, she began getting phone calls from people just wanting to buy the coupons - not the rest of the paper. We run house ads of "$145 worth of coupons in today's paper" and I joked we should charge them $10 for just the coupons.
Draft saved Draft deleted