1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspapers Have Lost Their Faith

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PeteyPirate, Apr 16, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Didn't say that. Said we were treading water too much to have any creative discussions about improving the paper.

2. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

"They need to have a large enough reader base to support a core of experienced and well-paid editors and reporters."

Then in the next graph you read...

"Some of these scale efficiencies can be achieved when newspapers in different parts of the country are purchased by a national chain such as Gannett or McClatchy. "

Ummmm, hello? So does this mean newspapers will start paying a liveable wage? Further, does this mean Gannett will start paying all its newsroom employees a liveable wage?!?

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I gave an audible 'Wow' at those numbers, too wb. I work at one of only 400 papers above 25L. Hard to believe.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So that means 1,037 papers are under 25k?
    That sounds about right.
    Think about the APSE contests the over 250k category has what, 25, 30 papers?
    And the under 40k has always been the largest and most difficult category to win in.
    My state has 31 dailies and it has six papers over 25K, and maybe one more, since one is very close.

5. scribbler

scribbler Member

Flew through Portland today.

Those TV stations were just doing what TV stations do -- following the newspaper. Unfortunately, that was The Oregonian's lead story on the Metro front today. Worse, it was the lead headline splashed atop A1 (without a story, tabloid-style).

So we go back to the point about newspapers dumbing things down.

6. Re: smaller newspapers.

Is anyone really worried about the thousands of tiny papers folding? I'm not. They have a lot less to worry about than most of the bigger papers, which have a lot of overhead, a lot of maintenance and a lot of payroll.

Small papers will lose profit margin from the loss of classifieds, but the vast majority will survive.

Small, community papers have a niche and are going to be less impacted than the Philadelphia Inquirer - a Titanic-like operation that may have to throw the crew overboard to save the boat for a few more days.

That's my thought anyway.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, i don't know how i ever could have misinterpreted that:

"Projects? Hmm. Can't think of any -- unless you count our desk moving 48 miles to a sister office, and then moving back again in six months. We "discussed" that a lot, yes."

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

touchet

Draft saved Draft deleted