1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspapers faulted for sports hirings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

To Richard Lapchick, director of the Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport at the University of Central Florida, the acceptable percentage would be 100.00.

I realize that's what he's there for, but he's getting more boring on this topic than me on Larry Brown.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The good news is, soon the percentage of women and minorities in newspapers will be exactly the same as the percentage of white males in the business --- zero.....

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

LOL @ this crap.

4. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

How many qualified journalists have been hurt by this mountain of discrimination that's drawn your ire?

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Way many more than you'll ever admit, apparently.

6. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Explain. I'm completely unaware, because with discrimination, there are obvious beneficiaries.

So I'm asking who are the ones getting hurt by this mountain of discrimination and who are the beneficiaries of it. When looking at that 88% figure, I find it hard to believe that discrimination against white males is as wide spread as some make it out to be, and the beneficiaries of it are far and few between.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

No doubt next year's report will focus on the ethnic and gender breakdowns on layoffs. Honestly, if newspapers want to improve their numbers, they have no excuse now. Lot easier to not get rid of someone than to bring someone in.

8. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I know several just in my little corner of the world.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow, we actually made it through a page of intelligent conversation before the usual turn. Nice.

Let's try to get back where we started. The problem is not in the hiring process. A woman with the ability and desire to be a sports writer will get her opportunity. She will probably have to put up with shit she doesn't deserve along the way, but she'll get her shot.

The same is true of a male reporter who is a member of a racial minority. The opportunities are there.

The pool of candidates, however, is not. The focus should be on correcting that problem. I don't know what the solution is, but without it the numbers aren't going to get any better.

10. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Then why isn't there a groundswell of minority and female writers benefiting from this form of discrimination?

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Great. What do you propose we do to get more minorities into sports journalism at a time when the suits are marching print journalists to the unemployment line in job lots?

12. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I don't know. But I do know its unfair to blame the industry for there not being a pool of minority and female writers.

Draft saved Draft deleted