1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Newspapers can break your heart. But I’ll let it be broken for what I got out of the deal."

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

A great piece of work. Though I confess when I saw "Charlotte" and "Goodbye, 600" I thought NASCAR was being stupid and moving the Coca-Cola 600.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I miss the newsroom too, though when I really think about it, the greatest camaraderie I had was at my very first paper. Five of us on the sports desk making virtually pennies a day, but we would eat meals together, play golf together in the mornings before work and stay late at the bars after work. I thought the vibes would be even better when I got to the major metro but that proved to not really be true.

JR119 likes this.
  3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

And still there's a piece of me that would consider going back to give it another shot.

It won't hurt me this time.
    It can't hurt me this time.
    Sad, really.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

That's cause it's in your blood. Newspapers for years have taken advantage of the employees who have it in their blood. Terrible pay for the amount of hours worked and lack of home life.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

And give what they helped to cost me, you'd think I'd be able to swear them off for good. I'm in teaching, now. Steady paycheck, normal hours and summers off.

But if the right opportunity presented itself...

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Plus, I don't think the guy above you was happy even when things were going good in newspapers. Just a hunch.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

When I began my career, the typewriter, typing paper, correction fluid and a six pack were the norm. All have been replaced. Evolution is a mother.

Draft saved Draft deleted