1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Newspapers can break your heart. But I’ll let it be broken for what I got out of the deal."

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This piece on tearing down the Charlotte Observer newsroom, by Tommy Tomlinson, has been going around for a week or so. Hadn't seen it posted here.

If you ever spent any time inside a newsroom — and felt addicted to chaotic mix of adrenaline, joy, heartbreak and joy, that it offered — it's worth your time.

Goodbye, 600

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Great stuff.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Some good stuff there. As long as I live I'll have a fond spot for the bells and the constant clickety-clack of the wire service teletype machine.

Bud_Bundy likes this.
  4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I loved the specifics. Loved how he listed names of people in other areas and what they did.

The description of the roar from the graphics department when someone made a great shot in Nerf basketball was awesome.

Kids, that's the difference between saying, "It was a fun place to work" and letting the readers see and hear the fun.

Also enjoyed the example of the questioning of the new CEO. I have been in many of those newsroom Q&As, and it's always a proud and uncomfortable moment when the new boss is grilled.

5. 15 years ago when I was working in sports, The Observer was my dream paper. ... Sigh.

6. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I shed a few tears reading that one. Well done.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, I love newspapers and all the experiences I've had ... but I just can't get all sentimental and misty-eyed over their demise. It's still work and work doesn't define who you are. At least it shouldn't.

Besides, when one door shuts, another door opens. I'm looking forward to my next adventure.

YankeeFan and Bronco77 like this.
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

With all due respect, and to each his/her own: I'm glad people are able to keep such cherished memories, but I don't. Not anymore.

I have lasting friendships, of course, but the most prominent lasting memory I have is of loving something for many years that did not and would never love me back.

YankeeFan, expendable and Liut like this.
  9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

With sports writers more than other journalists, I think the schedule and the exigencies of the job have made them more likely to be defined by the role than, say, somebody who covered local politics for a long time and still had a relatively normal schedule. I considerate myself fortunate that my journalism career only included about eight years covering sports. It strained the hell out of my marriage. The hours and the commitment are designed for young people.

10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

They need to fix the focus on that page. It's blurry.

And for some of us, yes, our work does define us. Varying mileage and all that.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That was a good read. As DD said, anyone who has spent any amount of time in a newsroom would "get" it, and would have felt it -- so familiar, and right, and good.

I like that they, um, built a wall :). It's one that I'd love to see.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed that. And his best point was this:

Draft saved Draft deleted