1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspapers aren't the only thing NYT tried to shed today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Dec 28, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How about 8.6 million readers -- by email.

The New York Times today sent a mass email notice in error to 8.6 million readers warning that their home delivery subscription was cancelled.
    According to the Times' Media Decoder blog, the Times Co.'s erroneous email went to a group of people representing "a wide cross-section of readers who had given their e-mails to the newspaper in the past," according to company spokeswoman Eileen Murphy. "We regret that the error was made, but no one’s security has been compromised,” Murphy is quoted as saying.

http://www.freep.com/article/20111228/NEWS07/111228035/New-York-Times-false-email-twitter

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Got of those and was a bit puzzled since I only subscribe to the paywall.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

According to Romenesko, the Times initially blamed it on spammers before realizing it was their own mess-up in circulation. It was meant for 300 people and went to 8.6 million.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Count me as one of the 8.6 million.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Never subscribed. When I got the email saying it would also cut off my unlimited access, I got excited for a moment thinking I had unlimited access.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I can't even get a spam e-mail from the New York Times, dammit!

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Ace, you can have mine, buddy. I don't need it.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

That explains why today I didn't get the paper I never ordered in a town where delivery isn't offered. :D

9. iowagrad

iowagrad New Member

I got one, too. It was puzzling since I don't subscribe to their home delivery. Cancel that all you want. I figured it was some kind of mess-up, but 8.6 million is kind of a big one.

10. Tarheel316

Speedtchr, I may have said this before but you have the coolest avatar on this board. Bender rules.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks for spamming me, Johnny D! Now, if you have an extra job at the Plain Dealer haning around, send that my way, too.

12. Tarheel316

Ace, you'd want to live in Cleveland?

Draft saved Draft deleted