1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspapers are a business, not a library

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Sep 1, 2018.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Longer. Netscape Navigator (first commercial web browser) was released in December 1994; it was preceded by NCSA Mosaic in January 1993. Changed everything, but the executives refused to recognize it.

I remember going to an SPJ meeting years and years ago in which a man who was part of the program confidently said that allying with America Online and/or CompuServe would ensure a steady money flow as newspapers transitioned to online delivery and left newsprint behind. He was asked about web browsers and direct Internet connections and confidently replied that browsing the web like that would never take off because most people would never have the kind of cheap bandwidth in their homes needed to take advantage of it.

Hopefully, that guy is running mowers at his local golf course now.

Fredrick likes this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Respectfully disagree, Raven. If newspapers have been reinvigorated, it's only in the groupthink of the newsroom itself. (Remember, "new and exciting times"?) The negative view of newspapers and journalists shared by far too much of the public is not a positive development.

3. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Sure, there might be those who have more negative news of journalists (enemy of the people rhetoric) but there are just as many people who are willing to support them. I mentioned this rejuvenation, mild one at best, has been good for larger papers. Unfortunately, the smaller markets are still getting shafted.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

OK, but remember that in this age of social media, we might be more likely to hear the opinions of those who think like us rather than those who oppose us. I'm thinking Facebook, etc.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

That might be more fun than sticking with newspapers now. Pays better, too.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Geez, things are going downhill.

Central-KY-Kid likes this.
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Um … reporters?

Central-KY-Kid likes this.
  8. Severian

Yes, I agree. Facebook and Twitter have created horrendous echo chambers that make slicing through the garbage difficult for some people.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I remember thinking that the size of a newspaper staff was determined by how many people it would take to serve the community adequately. I was so naive.

Doc Holliday and PaperDoll like this.
  10. Severian

Haha.... haha.... haha.......... hahah....... *sobs*

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

How in the world does Donald Trump have anything to do with the death of newspapers? If anything, he's given newspapers new life with all the content he provides. When newspapers really went into the shitter, in 2008, Obama was president. How is it not Obama's fault but it is Trump's fault?

I expect more insightful, reasonable and better thought-out arguments on a website full of journalism professionals. Maybe he's right. Fake news created by a bunch of hacks.

Severian likes this.
  12. Severian

That's what I've been saying, dude.

Doc Holliday likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted