1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper websites, can they be eliminated?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 93Devil, Mar 16, 2012.

?

You are the publisher of a newspaper. What do you do?

1. Keep everything the way it is. We have bottomed out, and we are comfortable here.

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Shut down the website for good. Make people buy a paper, printed on paper, once again if they want t

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Go to a paid subscription website right away.

26 vote(s)
    57.8%
  4. Close the website for two weeks then reboot it as a pay site.

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I've long said my six-a-week daily should go twice weekly plus online subscription. Make the print stuff free and charge for website premium.

Problem is a lot would have to change, it's drastic and the higher-ups don't have the balls to do it.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I still think you have to do some form of print. Inserts and coupons do mean something financially and the Sunday paper still has some juice.

The format of the Sunday and Wednesday papers might change from "breaking" news to more of a week that was type of roundup with some breaking events that occured on Saturday.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Why would you close it down before making people pay? And why 2 weeks?

4. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Though it's sad to see it happen to a lot of dailys, I do see papers with print editions on only Sunday, Wednesday and maybe another weekday being a viable model going forward. I'd like to see them be sort of "digest" versions with longer, more indepth coverage, with the breaking stuff on the web.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You can't shut a website down and reboot. There's just enough advertising revenue generated to not make that option viable. Of course, there's not nearly enough ad revenue to keep a traditional newspaper operation going either.

6. JackReacher

Well, and beyond that, it's just not necessary. I'm guessing people who do that kind of shit can launch the paywall in about 5 minutes once it's developed.

7. 93Devil

If it was a quick transfer, I would at least let people know for weeks in advance about the transfer and have the new paysite look nothing like the old free one.

To me, closing it down at least for one day, would make people realize how much it sucks not knowing all the local things they are missing.

8. JackReacher

Yeah. That's it. Take away your product so you can prove a point that may or may not resonate with the audience. Savvy.

9. 93Devil

Disney does it and so does McDonalds.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. JackReacher

That's right. I forgot newspapers are in the same economic class as Disney and McDonalds. My bad. Great idea!

11. 93Devil

As a group, they used to be and probably still are.

12. JackReacher

Draft saved Draft deleted