1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper Terms

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jimmydangles, May 9, 2008.

1. My all-time favorite:

The morgue.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Haven't heard veelox in years.

3. fishwrapper

4. fishwrapper

Guys remember cleaning up around the apartment or home and finding those goddamn hairlines, scotch, and 1 pts everywhere?

5. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

Can we define a few of these, so the noobs can learn a little?

We shorten every word possible -- even in speech. "Sport" becomes "spt" (pronounced "spit"), etc.

6. fishwrapper

Which ones?

7. fishwrapper

Chapel Meeting ("Don't touch the mu'er fik'n type!")

8. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

Thanks for tossing the young'uns a bone, FW.

Veelox, for one. And I'm not sure I know exactly what a takeout is, other than it's an assignment I probably want (and the best food I can hope to eat on a journalism salary).

9. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Takeout, thumbsucker, long-form = stories that are quite lengthy and informative, delving deep into a topic. Should be developed during the course of covering a beat. Falling by the wayside in the name of style and decreased attention spans.

10. fishwrapper

Veelox=Was the result of a processing machine what would would produce a high-gloss, high-quality boardsheet print.
    Takeout=Wow. I thought this was a common one. (I'm not passing judgment). It's basically a long feature. A lot of places had a "takeout writer." Originally it was a magazine term. You could pull the pages out, self-contained, or take them out.

11. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

Had an inkling, just never heard it defined.

Has anyone else ever heard of "Wellingtons?"

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm glad we have lost the term "dingbat" from our lexicon. Our old hot-type composing room guys just couldn't understand why the smart-ass college kid didn't want to run them all over the place.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted