1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper Terms

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jimmydangles, May 9, 2008.

1. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

Piggybacking off the "Why is it called Agate?" thread, I wonder about all the weird, goofy terms we've all encountered along the way. Strange/antiquated words for things specific to the sports department, list 'em here. You know, before everything moves to the internet and we forget them all.

I'll start. I wonder if this is giving away my location, but there's a guy at my shop who calls the Sunday circulars and coupon pages "the Wellingtons."

2. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

i always dug nut graph ... double truck ... copy rim ...

hey, does an upper-case "M" count as 1 1/2 or two?

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I learned two. That and an upper-case W. Upper-case I's are one, everything else is 1 1/2. Lower-case i's, t's, f's and l's are 1/2, m's and w's are 1 1/2, and everything else is 1.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Living up to the username, I see. Yep. You hit every single one on the head there.

5. badmoon

badmoon Member

lower case j's are 1/2 as well. it was flitj, as i recall dimly.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Damn. I knew I was missing one, although I'm not entirely sure that was on the list I learned. I've also discovered that in some headline fonts, r's might as well be 3/4; j's might just fall into that group too.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hed counting is a lost art in this modern "Fit Head" world we live in.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And certain (non-Quark, non-InD) editorial systems make it possible to "fit" heds of appalling length on a single line, if the user has absolutely no sense of hed-counting.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

11. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Lede.
    Lede? What's a lede? Oh, you mean lead.
    Yeah, lede.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted