1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper Survivors

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PatrickCarney, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Because the heat index gets up to 100-120 for several months in the summer. (Oh, sorry, that was YOUR list, wasn't it.)

2. Sp0rtScribe

Sp0rtScribe Member

Couldn't agree more on the traffic. I absolutely hate it. I understand the perks and intrigue of working in a big market, but smaller towns/ cities have their perks as well.

3. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Eh, I know what you mean. But it's summer.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ditto. 10 years ago I would have looked at an older fella at a smallish paper as some kind of failure for not getting out and climbing the ladder. Now, older and wiser myself, I can respect that kind of person for having put down roots and becoming a part of the community. That has a lot of appeal to me now. The ladder is gone.

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I turned down several attempts to climb the ladder -- at times, I thought I had done so foolishly (and I turned down a job from a fellow SportsJournalists.commer that would've, in the long run, been a good career move ... to stay at a 10K paper and keep churning out prep sports stories). Turning that job down probably prevented me from climbing up the ladder, as the older I got, the more I worried I was getting pigeonholed as a "small-paper guy."

Instead, I put down roots, got married, became an SE for four years, and probably could've stayed in that job for 30. I had pretty much put myself in a position where I was very well-respected by my readers & sources because I had put down roots -- something I probably could not have done elsewhere.

Even though I bailed on the business a couple of years ago, staying with that job was a great move for me personally (and, as it turned out, professionally. As I left the business, I hired on at a local high school -- the familiarity the school administration had with me and my work certainly was a factor that did not hurt).

Had I followed the path up the ladder, I might have never put down those roots, and might have put myself in a position to put myself on the chopping block. Instead, I have a good life.

6. Hatchetjob

Hatchetjob New Member

I agree with the majority of the posts.
    I am a combo news/sports editor at small daily (were 6 days, now 5 days). Been SE for 15 years, NE for nearly 10. Had plenty of chances to move to a bigger paper, but considered the moves lateral.
    Yes, the pay sucks, but I am lucky. Wife owns her own business and makes double what I do. She razzes me all the time, but I don't really care.
    I have benefits... Belong to a beautiful golf course and play 4 times a week, don't have to work 40 hours per week in the summer because I am salary.
    Some of the jobs I turned down have now been eliminated in my state.
    Thought I would be here for a year or two and move on.
    Now, I am glad I stuck it out at a small daily.
    That's just me...

Draft saved Draft deleted