1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper sportswriting or sports information

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UNCGrad, Jul 21, 2010.

1. esport12

esport12 Member

I agree with everything that's been said here. It's the truth and just plain sad.

2. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

The Little League parents are not making millions like coaches and thus, more "valuable" and powerful than you to the university. That makes them effectively your boss, at least in their outrageously egotistical minds. An SID with 19 sports is an SID with 19+ people who think he works for them. In my own experience, and in the experience of every friend I've had in that business who has done both, an SID's life is light years more stressful. There IS no time off. EVERY beat is your beat. Doesn't matter what sports you theoretically handle.
    There were great aspects to the job, but I don't miss it. Not a bit, and I thought I would.

On the other hand, universities are not tearing down the SID business yet. So . . . take all the previous with a grain of layoff salt.

3. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone who replied. Accepted last night after going from a first offer of a little less than I was making to a small raise. Very excited about the future for the first time in a while.

4. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

Do you mind me asking what job it is?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Way to work it, UNC. Good luck.

6. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Congrats. Take the SID job and get your masters for free. Both jobs stink, but one can lead to something better, while the other is only about pain.

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

When I was looking into a similar jump it seemed every potential job paid near the same or less and the hours expected were similar. At least at my job now I set my schedule. Tally one for newspapers in this debate.

8. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Headed to Fayetteville State. My job should be posted in the coming days.

9. There's a Fayettenam State? Who knew?

Draft saved Draft deleted