1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper sportswriting or sports information

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UNCGrad, Jul 21, 2010.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

And not every SID position has low pay. Check out CoSIDA for some examples... be prepared to know a lot more about stat and web programs, however.

2. Definitely take the SID job. Beyond job security, there is opportunity for advancement. I know conference commissioners and ADs who began in sports information.

3. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

What's the money like? What's the benefit package like? What are the hours like? What are the co-workers like?

What do you want to be doing 3-5-10 years from now?

Answer those questions, and you'll know what you want to do.

4. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response. The job is a small state university, but the suggested pay, albeit a tad less than I make now, is comparable (and possibly negotiable). There would be a commute involved though. Anybody have experience as a state employee? I just feel like there's more room to advance in this field than the one I'm in now.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If it's asst SID, to me that says there's a boss SID, which to me says there is a division of labor. A lot of small colleges have one SID who may or may not have some student workers to help out. If that's the case, those hours are never ending. If there are multiple staff in the SID office, it will likely be much more manageable for you.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Done both. It really depends on where you're at in life (marriage, family, etc.) and what you enjoy doing.

As an SID it bothered me a little how much time I invested in the "minor" sports that received next to no attention in the mainstream. And the money was about the same as what I made in newspapers. Hours were pretty awkward, especially during the seasonal overlaps. But the slower summer months were a nice break and at least I usually had Sundays off. And, as others have said, the benefits are better, especially if it's a state university.

In newspapers, I have more control over my schedule and what events I cover. But the daily deadlines never go away and there's no such thing as "I'll go out and have a nice dinner and finish this tomorrow".

7. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Been interviewed. Been offered. Leaning that way. Worried a tad about feeling like a sellout, but then again, I'm more interested in providing better for my family. And I believe there are more avenues to move up going this route.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Look out for you and your family first.

The sellout line is bullshit in this age.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Sellout? WTF are you thinking?

You may love, or really enjoy, newspapers. But your happiness and family's well-being comes before any newspaper, co-worker or perception of "us vs. them."

If you walked out of your interview with the gut feeling that it was the right thing, then that should tell you what you need to know. After sleeping on it and still feeling that way, that's another sign.

Family first.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you like writing, you can probably really go to town on the school's website with features, Q&As, other ideas, etc.

Take the job. Good luck.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You are incredibly fortunate to have been offered what sounds like a quality job, with promotable potential either there, or perhaps, elsewhere, someday, with security and an opportunity to learn and take on more technical/digital skills that may serve you far better in the future, either in the SID or school administration field or the public relations/marketing industry.

Take the job and don't look back.

You didn't sell out. You sold yourself well.

That's a good thing. Don't see it as anything else. The newspaper industry won't miss you, and you won't miss it, as long as you have put yourself into a better situation, which you have.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Indeed. You owe the newspaper industry nothing. You owe your family everything you can give them.

Draft saved Draft deleted