1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper sportswriting or sports information

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UNCGrad, Jul 21, 2010.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I've been a small-paper sports editor (10,000 circ.) for 12 years, but may have an opportunity to jump into an Asst. SID position at a university. Has anyone out there made this jump? Pros/Cons? Has the change been a revelation for you, or would you go back to newspapers first chance you got?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Take the SID job.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've never quite understood the appeal of sports information. Aren't the hours just as bad and the pay just as low? I suppose I can see it if you're young and want to climb the ladder into administration some day. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That being said, I suppose that newspapers are dying, and team Web sites are one of the million reasons why. You're not just passing out stats and game notes on that job any more. You've become another media source. I'm sure sports PR is a lot more sophisticated and engaging than it was 10-20 years ago.

4. Mizzougrad96

You're choosing between bad and worse, but SIDs have better job security.

5. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

SIDs might have better job security, but there are a lot of other benefits, too. Depending on how the college operates, you may be able to take classes for free or at a greatly reduced rate. Take advantage of that as soon as you can. Find a master's program you like and get busy. I did that and got a job teaching college journalism right after I finished my master's, and, because of the college's discount, I spent less than $1,000 on my degree.

6. Mizzougrad96

Excellent points. Also, if it's a state university, you probably get one hell of a benefits package.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would much rather deal with a handful of coaches and administrators than dozens of Little League parents.

Take the SID job.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Take the SID job, no doubt.

9. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Take it. Better job security. The hours stink at either job.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Another vote for the SID job.

As long as the school has athletics, they'll need you, as opposed to a newspaper that is more concerned about its profit margins.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It doesn't hurt to apply. Be prepared to compete against unpaid interns who have handed out keychains at games, though.

12. jrw

jrw Member

That right there is all you need to know. I'd take the SID position.

Draft saved Draft deleted