1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper publisher jailed over open records request

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 3, 2016.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I keep thinking I must be reading this wrong.

The judge had them charged with felony identity fraud because she says they might have used the information they were subpoenaing about banking records to steal money from her account. That's fucking insane.

3. novelist_wannabe

It wasn't her account. It was the court account, but yeah. Absolutely insane. Frankly, it sounds like a Grisham novel. This just reeks of personal vendetta. I can't understand why the court reporter wouldn't just turn over the recordings in the original case.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It doesn't just reek of a vendetta. The judge openly confirms it is one.

Weaver said she resented Thomason’s attacks on her character in his weekly newspaper and in conversations with her constituents.

“I don’t react well when my honesty is questioned,” Weaver said.

5. novelist_wannabe

Tweener likes this.
  6. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Oh man, I'd start filing FOIA requests every day for everything and anything I could think of. Wanna play hardball lady? Let's go.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Weaver needs to be removed from the bench. Now. I hate it when judges abuse their power. And they have a lot of power.

Tweener likes this.
  8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

How strange. The judge doesn't look mean-spirited ...

9. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Hey, it's Angela Corey!

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Every man in that picture looks absolutely terrified of her, or maybe just ready to get the hell away from her. I've seen happier people in hostage videos.

Vombatus likes this.
  11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Looks like the bar scene in Star Wars.

sgreenwell and cjericho like this.
  12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine posted a Facebook link to a webpage of this paper's competitor that puts this whole controversy in a completely different spin. According to the competitor, this publisher is in cahoots with a local lawyer in a long-running vendetta against the judge, who, I believe, succeeded the lawyer's husband, who resigned from the position and was disbarred for ethics violations. The story also said the FOIA request was never processed because the publisher never came up with the filing fee, and the contempt of court citation came about after he browbeat the court reporter for not handing over the audio transcripts upon demand. Or something like that. It was very long-winded and convoluted, and there was a lot of borderline-libelous stuff in there about how the publisher still lives with his parents and publishes his paper in their basement. Regardless of whose story you believe, though, it sounds like this is a lively little town.

Draft saved Draft deleted