1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newspaper journalists paid less than ... janitors?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I earn, therefore I am. Or vice versa. Can never keep that straight. Doh! :-\

2. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I'm not sure this is as true now as it once was. And, if there are, most of those people just need to read this to reconsider. I realize nobody cares about quality employee retention at the moment, but at some point the rats fleeing the ship is going to become a problem. Or, well, the publishers may not consider it a problem, but I'm very, very curious to see who and what they're left with in terms of employees when the dust settles.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

I would imagine it's not a school bus.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Some apologists for our shit profession will spin this in some positive way.
    It is flat out embarrassing what they pay journalists.

5. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

The part that struck me was fast-food workers making $19.8. At least janitorial work is something grownups do. The idea that adult professionals with college degrees make a dollar an hour more than the kid flipping burgers at mickyD's is completely depressing.

6. Journalists have better opportunities for advancement, raises, bonuses, promotions, etc.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

until they realize what you make.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You'd think so, but no. The allure of the work is too much.

Plus, most people make the decision to go into the business before they are mature enough to appreciate the importance of salary. $22k/year sounded like a lot more when I was 22.

9. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Also naive enough to think they'll get a raise or hit the jackpot before they hit 30.

Draft saved Draft deleted